Bay1 Adapters

george_borden

I just bought a Yashica Mat 124-G and am excited to get started. My

question: Does it cause any problems for image quality to use an

adapter so I can use (1) a polarizer and (2) close-up lenses? These

items can be hard to find for the Bay 1 size. Also, does it get to be

a problem to stack an adapter, filter and lens hood on one of these

things? Thank you. George Borden.

For practical purposes, a good polarizer will not measurably affect your image quality. The effect will be the same on a TLR as on any other camera-- it's just a little more finicky lining up the polarizer than on (for example) an SLR.

Supplementary close-up lenses introduce aberrations which degrade your image. The effect is much less if you use a small taking aperture, and if you use a really good close-up lens, like the Canon two-element achromats. Taking close-ups with a TLR is also a bit of a pain, for the obvious reason.

I sometimes use a Bay 1 to 52mm adapter on my TLR, because my good filters are 52mm. The 52mm filter and hood partly block the bottom of my viewing lens, but I can live with that. When I'm not using a filter, I just use a little Bay 1 hood.

Those step-up adapters are made in 46, 49 and 52mm.

52mm would be nice as they are common but on a Yashica Mat it will cover the wheels for speed and aperture setting. On any bay I TLR it will also block the lower part of the viewing lens.

49mm is fine but you must have a short and narrow hood for the same reason.

46mm is great but the filters are rarer. It would be the best option if you have some cameras using it (like a Contax G)

I use 49mm since there is a used market for them and i was able to built an extensive set.

As for quality, only consider you will be using the center part of your filters (about 30mm). Also don't forget that you must set some of them on the upper lens first (like the pol) and that you should compensate on your light meter for the light lost.

Thanks for all the info. I'm glad I didn't go out and buy a 52mm adaptor. By the way, I have a 58mm polarizer, and I've read in some other threads that some people just hold a polarizer in front of the lens. Does that really work? And I presume you can't use a lens hood if you're doing that.

• 3 weeks later...