Motivation to get out there

andrewpgrant

Okay, so it's just before 6am... it's dark outside, about minus 3

Celsius... the snow is starting to turn into ice pellets... and I'm

about to go and start trudging around looking for photos.

While clutching my second cup of coffee, I just found myself wondering

what other folks out there do for motivation on such mornings.

Do you have any tricks? Any special routine? Do you have any way to

make sure you still get out there on your days off instead of

succumbing to the desire to sleep in? Anything to make the getting up

and getting out there part a little easier? ;-)

I agree with Emily. Building up the right anticipation helps a lot. I just spent a day at the zoo (freezing and being snowed upon), but the pictures are worth it - and that's what gives me the push that I need in the morning in order not to fall back into bed. A thermos of coffee or tea isn't a bad idea, either :-)

Go on and shoot,

maf<div>00BENF-21986884.jpg.900f70f3ec49571e30974b83302d34bf.jpg</div>

<i>"I think that lesser photographers are sitting at a computer typing things like this instead of getting on with it"</i>

<p></p>

Point taken and your comment made me smile. Although in my defence I had 30mins to kill before I had to leave and when there's the possibility of things like freezing rain in the forecast I like to check the weather maps/radar to find out where it is for myself. Funnily enough, it doesn't change my plans with regard to where I am going, but I do like to know if I'm about to get rained/snowed/hailed/frozen/whatever (which, at times, is half the fun). Perhaps being prepared in that manner is just my own quirk, but I used to be a meteorologist and such things interest me.

<p></p>

<p></p>

<i>"If you need contrived motivation to go out and do photography, you should find another avocation"</i>

<p></p>

Again, in my defence, I've never had problems with enjoying myself immensly while out there... which is motivation in itself. But is there any harm in wondering if other people have any pre-early morning shoot quirks? Havn't you ever stopped for a second and thought about the 'absurd' fact that when there's conditions that'd encourage most 'normal' folks to stay in we find ourselves out there amongst it? Forgive me, but that kind of cynical way of looking at things always brings a smile to my face.

<p></p>

You know what, now I think about it your condescending tone actually irritates me quite a lot. I didn't start this thread looking for that kind of comment.

<p></p>

<p></p>

<i>"Simple - move to Florida."</i>

<p></p>

LOL. If only ;-)

<p></p>

<p></p>

<i>"By the time the day comes you'll be antsy with anticipation"</i>

<p></p>

Oh man, I know what you mean! Sometimes, if it's something like today where I've been waiting for a certain time for a planned shoot (in this case, I've been waiting for fresh snow) I have trouble sleeping with the anticipation. I also like your proposed methodology ;-)

Thanks Markus also for the reminder of what it's about ;-)

<<Do you have any tricks? Any special routine? Do you have any way to make sure you still get out there on your days off instead of succumbing to the desire to sleep in? Anything to make the getting up and getting out there part a little easier? ;-)>>

Like anything else worth doing, I dread the first stages intensely (getting up, driving to a trail, hiking in near-pitch dark), even in good weather. But as I'm later walking/running/biking back to the car I'm always glad I went, whether the photographs were good or not. When I don't go due to laziness I feel lousy enough the rest of the day that it's just not worth sleeping in.

I have to admit, it's very easy to get up early here in S. Fla. Today is an absolutely gorgeous day :-)

On various trips where I *did* have to get up in the dark, bone-shattering cold, it is only the promise of the images that pushes me on. I usually enjoy the prep/early morning part but I HATE when its cold. On those trips, the images are pretty much the ONLY things that keep me going.

OK, maybe I'm nuts, but I think the nastier the weather, the better. Polypropelene (thermal underwear-keeps you warm and dry) and GoreTex and I'm set for the day. It's like being in an alien landscape without having to leave town. The opportunities just jump out at you.

<i>:OK, maybe I'm nuts, but I think the nastier the weather, the better. Polypropelene (thermal underwear-keeps you warm and dry) and GoreTex and I'm set for the day. It's like being in an alien landscape without having to leave town.</i>

<p></p>

Amen to that. I particularly love the feeling of hiding inside my Goretex jacket when it's raining heavily. And my boots. I love the feeling of warm, dry feet when you're splashing through wet terrain.

<p></p>

I don't think you're nuts at all, Walt. Thanks :-)

<<:OK, maybe I'm nuts, but I think the nastier the weather, the better. Polypropelene (thermal underwear-keeps you warm and dry) and GoreTex and I'm set for the day. It's like being in an alien landscape without having to leave town.>>

I totally agree with this after I'm awake and there's some light in the sky - winter is supposed to be cold (though in the NC mtns a good single-digit or lower day is somewhat rare). It's the groggy, pre-dawn stumbling around that causes me to question my avocation.

Oddly I don't mind getting up nearly as much when camping, even when I'm snug in my bag. I guess it's having to abandon the warm bed with wife and dog that gets me.

Ol' Ansel used to the same thing, only with a whole lot fewer creature-comforts and lugging around a huge large format camera. I roughly recall a quote from him where he mentions this very point.

Heck, I used to teach a Nature Photography class in southern Indiana. You should try and get yourself up at 4:30 am AND notivate a classroom of 20 year olds who probably spent most of the evening at the local pubs all night!

Spent about 1.5 hrs watching and following a couple of Great Gray Owls, trying to get them in flight/hunting but they weren't being very co-operative today. I'll keep trying till they go back north, keeping in mind that it may be another 10 years before they'll be back again.

I assume we are talking nature photography here and not nudes, but if you can find a willing model at that hour, what the heck? (See the site of Eric Boutilier-Brown). I wouldn't call it a trick. It's a simple fact. Morning light and evening light are always preferable to mid-day light. And light is the foundation of good photographs. So if you've got good light, get your butt out there, and take your model with you if you can.

PS -- Have you tried using Velvia (ISO 50) in the morning mist? The results might help get you moving. And if it's real misty, sink some money into Provia 400F.

Many winter mornings I find myself wearing waders or dry suit and sitting in a pond up to my chest covered with camouflage netting and reeds. All to get pics of some Bufflehead ducks. To get out of bed I have to make believe I am going to my real-life job. I get dressed and out the door on autopilot. Once I am in the field and get to see nature up close...that is my motivation to plan the next outing.

Up this morning, 4:45am, bed warm, beautiful wife sleeping, dog snoring...but 12" of fresh snow outside. Man, my mind must have spent 1/2 hour from 4:15 going back and forth..stay and sleep...get your **s out of bed. Finally, I need only whisper to the dog "wanna go skiing", and she's like a rocket down the stairs, waiting and whining at the door. That's one of my motivators! I agree with Steve, It's always a bit tough to actually make the movement out the door, but once I'm out I'm increadably happy I did so. There's no place I'd really rather be than outside in nature early in the morning. Drove 1/2 hour to my favorite ski area, skinned up, and sat on the summit at 7:00am. Man was it beautiful! Maybe not the perfect photo day as the clouds were fairly well in, but I took a few shots anyway...here's what I've gotten before from the same spot doing the same thing: <a href="http://www.whitemountainphoto.com/400jpg_pages/143_400_tuckerman_moon.html">www.whitemountainphoto.com/400jpg_pages/143_400_tuckerman_moon.html</a>

A good trick that also helps, is completely packing for the next morning the night before. First, it makes it easier to get out the door fast, second, knowing it's sitting in my kitchen waiting for me makes me feel even a bit more obligated to climb out of bed. The good feeling always carries through the day and sometimes longer, revitalized even now this afternoon, well worth it!

All the best!

Dana/<a href="http://www.whitemountainphoto.com">www.whitemountainphoto.com</a>

We should all live right under the Tuck! motivation? Who could possibly have a

problem with that to come out to!

We got 5 inches of slushy stuff until 3:30 in the afternoon when it turned to rain. I

went down to the White Cedar Swamp in Wellfleet.

Somebody got there before me and walked on the boardwalk.