Right flatbed to scan original prints...

I am looking for a high end flatbed to scan original black and white photos. What is the

state of the art out there? I am looking to get as much as I can out of these prints and

would love digital ICE (if it exists for reflective scanning). My Linocolor Saphir Ultra is

having issues that may involve a repair.

Any help would be great.

With thanks,

MH

In terms of just reflective scanning for photos, most any current Epson, Canon or Microtek in the $75 to $100 will do about as well as anything. There are limitations in how much you can pull out of a print and most scanners do a pretty good job at acquiring this level of reflective data. If you want ICE for prints, you have to pay a lot more and move up to something like a Microtek i900, Epson 4870/4990. I am not sure if Canon's FARE works on prints. You can check that. Some people think ICE for prints works well, others say it is useless (this is different from ICE for films), so you might want to do some testing at the store if demos are offered.

<p> Doug<p>

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~dougfisher/holder/mainintro.html">Dougs

MF Film Holder for batch scanning of 120/220 medium format film with flatbeds</a>

• 1 month later...

hello mike, i just got a Canon LiDE 80 scanner and am very happy with it. i got it to convert for use as a large format scanning back for (to slip as a film back into an 8x10 camera). i got on this site tonight to see if anyone else had the same idea. it looks like i can modify it. it uses power from the usb port so it is perfect for the road warrior and therfore landscape photography done here in the southwest. i like to add a bluetooth to it so one can leave their laptop(panasonic CF toughbook in my case, able to withstand desert dust)in their car and take photos off the pod. it comes with a great software bundle and hopefully i can develop drivers for use with BeOS and thereby use Refraction...the other photshop. i'll be in touch. anyone doing this with scanners? take care. note new email address.

The Armenian Nomad