Portrait Category

bbb1

For me, a good portrait draws me in and keeps my interest. It doesn't have to be a beautiful face, but the photo does have to grab me at first glance. It's really hard to narrow down what exactly makes a good portrait because the best lighting in the world and the most beautiful model don't always make for a good portrait. Sometimes poor lighting and a weathered face work well. I guess it's the emotion that comes through the image that catches my attention first, whether it's sad, happy, angry, etc., and that's so very hard to capture well.

Biliana- My personal interest (as you know) is in photographing children. I find myself asking, "Why do I like photographing children?" I think my answer would be that I like to photograph children because they are naturally honest & express their reactions & thoughts more through facial & body expressions than polished verbal skills. I also like to think they have not yet learned to conceal their thoughts & feelings for fear of ridicule. Children seem to lack some of life's extra baggage, like vanity & self doubt, that weights us adults down.

It is funny but I also find the elderly very interesting. I tend to find them much like young children, only they have survived life's punishments. They have character & most times it shows.

So, I am afraid I have no real answer for you about what makes a "good portrait". What "I" think makes a good portrait is capturing that "inner personality &/or character" of the subject. That little "spark" in the eyes or maybe even the the lack there of a "spark". One may only have but a split second when the subject's "inner" self shines through. I can see it with my eyes but can I catch it?

I like to ask myself, "Did the camera capture what "I" saw?" If the answer is "yes", then I have succeeded, if "no", then we (me & my camera) failed & must try again. The ultimate reward is when the answer is "yes!".

I hope you find my answer somewhat helpful :)

To Susan Stone :)

Thank you Susan for your suggestions on Masters of Photography and just to point out that I am very much satisfied with my Portraits, but here the question was - what MAKES a GOOD Portrait!

I dont know why, a lot of people think that I am asking something about My Portraiture?!?!? My question is more General!

Thank YOU :)

Biliana

To Kim S.

Thank you dear Kim and I agree with you, a good portrait has to be full of emotions :) but not necesserely :)

Please tell me where is the emotion in those Beautiful Fashion portraits were the Ladies are so beautiful and only her smile is sometimes making the whole photograph?! without any emotions or fake emotions?!

Biliana

So, the answer is (for now):

- "inner personality &/or character" of the subject.

- emotions

- lighting, colors, use of DOF, spontaneous pose, attractiveness of the subject, the subjects expression...

To ask another question: Does the Subject has to be Attractive?

If it is a set up shot. Where I have all the time in the world. Iメll go for looks and appearance. But for street and documentary portraits. Itメs not a factor. i'm only after the facial expression and the back ground story. In fact I find the street more challenging. Your always under time pressure, you canメt control the lights and the surrounding, the subject is hostile and evasive. Your opportunity to capture the right moment is very narrow. But in the end itメs very rewarding to the photographer. A good portrait need not be perfect. Looking back to the history of great portraits. The subject is not from Ford Model Agency but open real people. Just my opinion. Best regards DSC.

Hi Biliana - Sorry it took me awhile to find this link but I'll give you my two cents... To me, what make a good children's portrait is NOT lighting, posting, composition, boekch, etc. It is simply emotion. To be able to capture a child's personality in a single split second image is what I strive to do in my work. If a viewer can look at one of my portraits and feel they know the child's demeaner or personality then I have accomplished my goal. I agree with Jayme on the magic of capturing the innocent spark that only children have.

I have been discouraged with PN now and then with people's lack of interest in portraits, especially studio work. But I just remind myself that I am not shooting my images for ratings here. I am just sharing them with hopes of helping others with ideas. My main objective is creating lifelong treasures for the parents of the children I work with. They are my true and real critics. Nothing rewards me more than when a mother comes to pick up her pictures and she cries seeing how beautiful her child is. I am certain your images of your nephew have yield the same responses from his parents. Many people do not realize how difficult it is to get a "good" image of a child. Again my "good" is not dealing with the technical issues. You have managed to capture many emotions of Daniel - so to me you are a very successful portrait photographer.

If you have any other questions, please email me. Thank you for supporting children portraits and especially my work. I appreciate it.

To Emily K.

Thank you dear Emily :) and you said it well, only photographers who are very much involved in Children Photography as YOU are dear Emily, KNOW how difficult is to capture all those Children expressions, while they are crying or not wanting to pose, or playing and fooling around :):)

Thank YOU dear Friend!

I think that all NEW MEMBERS of the PN Community needs more Lessons on PHOTOGRAPHY in General!

BIliana

I think the best portraits are made when the subject is shot unawared, or at least when the subject stands in a natural/spontaneous position and his/her expression mirrors his/her true feelings.<p>Funny, two weeks ago I made a portrait of <a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/4833661">my cousin</a>. The funny thing about his pose is that I didn`t ask him to stand like that, he just said "Shoot me!". Well, I like the photo very much mostly because of his spontaneous pose, but I do not think after all that is a very good portrait...

Dear Biliana, If I were you, I would study the portraits of Theo Keijzer and Stefan Rohner and try to figure out what the heck they do to get such good results. P.S., don't get mad at dear John, he loves photography as much as any one here on PN, he's just a grump sometimes.

i agreed with mr. Tim holte. Stefan Rohner is a terrific portrait photographer. another photographer i know in same class as mr. Rohner is mr. Jock Sturges. unfortunately his no longer here. but his books is well published. best regards DSC.

Surely portraiture is one of the most <i>personal</i> forms of photography. What one person will like, another will not. It is also nothing to do with a pretty face: many who say "oooh" or "wow" over a beautiful woman's face (for example) are rating in the same way they rate a beautiful naked woman, and it has little to do with the actual photograph I think, but more to do with the subject.

<p>

Wait until you are asked to give an exhibition... and then wait to see if the public likes your portraits... and then - maybe - you might know if your skills have improved.

• 1 year later...

Biliana, I know your question but I think the answer to What Makes a Good Portrait is very subjective and varies from person to person. I don't think there are any "Portrait" police or courts to rule what a good portrait is.

One person I know of says that three images of a person need to be displayed to get a true "portrait" either by compiling the images on one canvas or framing them seperately and hanging on the same wall.

Now, for me personally, I like that idea and plan to start playing with it but basically, I think a good portrait captures a moment in that person's life. It shows them "at ease" and conveys the mood and reveals a little of that person even if it is only physical beauty of the moment the light was shining in that person's eye or water dripping from her nose, etc. Often it is an expression or it could be broader and a great portrait can capture the person's surroundings in which he/she is most happy and comfortable in. Children at play is a good example or a person intent on something they love.

Let me ask you: What do you think makes a good portrait?

Personally, I don't get out to get portraits of strangers but I have many portraits if you will of my children but am reluctant to post them to the world here on PN. Although I have posted some that are less than full images that I think look pretty good. I have one I will be posting later today or this week that shows what I mentioned above about being at ease.

I have a "portrait" of my son with his hand by his face and only an eye showing. He hates having his picture taken so I think it is one of my greatest pictures of him. My wife on the other hand does not care for it that much and prefers the traditional happy face with teeth showing between an ear to ear grin. Each his own taste.

Trying to break down my dull walls as a photographer,

Kirk