Wireless remote shutter

It's called wireless receiver LC-4R and LC-5 wireless controller.

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=851

There's also Wireless Controller LC-3 Set (incl. Transmitter & Receiver). Those are infrared I believe. And only work with some Canon cameras (I believe those having a socket to control the shutter electrically).

Otherwise there's PocketWizard.com, working in the VHF/UHF range I believe (hundreds of MHz).

Last but not least there's wifi Canon WFT-E1, allowing to transmit files wirelessly (2.4GHz band), between camera and PC. Not sure though whether EOS Utility can be used to remotely release the shutter (EOS Utility can release shutter over the USB cable).

What camera?

Built-in can easily be obstructed (infrared needs line of sight) by lens and hood. When self-portraiting or part of group this is obvious. Also, there's a slight delay between pressing the button on remote and shutter release. To me those two things made me think it's not that useful.

The Canon IR remote controller working on Elan 7Ne ("RC-5" I believe is called) costs below 15eur.

Isn't the D50 Nikon's "entry level" DSLR? Canon also provides IR wireless remote capability on its own "entry level" DSLRs (Digital Rebels, original and XT). Perhaps Canon feels users of its better cameras would want better/more reliable remote systems.

A wireless infrared remote is extremely useful and I don't know why Canon do not offer it on their prosumer/pro models but then Nikon does either. The d50 and d70/d70s have infrared remotes but the D200 and above do not. The RC-1/RC-5 are IR remotes for the 300D/350D.

Nikon also allows the inbuilt flash on some of their recent DSLRs to act as a wireless master. Very useful.

Adidt sells relatively cheap wireless remotes for Canon cameras. They are now available through Amazon.

I wish the RC-1 worked on my 20D too, but it doesn't. It worked great on a few older film EOS cameras, and I know it still works on the digital Rebels, but I'm not going back to film or down grading to get cheap wireless.

There is also a $100 wireless trigger for the 30D offered on eBay all the time. Hoodman showed teaser pics of a battery grip for the 20D/30D that had an intervolometer and IR remote capability, but it never seemed to get shipped from China, so I suspect that option is dead.

Perhaps the "legend" that Canon is going to announce on the 24th is a low cost wireless transmitter for their higher end cameras. Okay, not likely, but it would be a nice addition for future DSLRs.