Domke Bag PiggyBack Question

david_l.

I have an Domke f2 that I purchased almost 20 years ago and it is still holding up.

Unfortunately my matching f-801 satchel has not lasted as well. It has been damaged

beyond resonable repair. The f-801 is sadly discontinued and the few times they pop up

on FeeBay, they sell for more than a new f-802 or f-803. I used to carry my laptop in the

f-801 and would clip it to my f2 and could get it on an airplane as one carry-on piece of

luggage (although about five years ago I was renting a camera kit that was supplied with a

f2 of a different color so the airline counted the rented Black f2 and my Navy f-801 as 2

bags and made me check my backpack.) So my question is does anyone know if the f-802

through f-805 series satchels have the piggyback clips to attach to a f2 like the f-801 did

and a follow up question - my f2 is Navy with Sand trim but the current bags are one solid

color and the Navy seems to be a different tone which might make it difficult to clear

(rather trick) the airline regs with my f2 as one bag. Is this true or are my eyes going?

David,

I have an 801 that I bought to piggyback with my F2 a long time ago. The F2 wore out and is gone but I still have my 801 that is hardly used. But....it is gray in color. I really don't use it at all. I thought I'd try it with my Leica kit since a lot of people rave about the 803, but I think it is just to big for that camera kit.

Email me off line if you are interested. I may even be able to through in a black Domke carry strap (not a "bag" strap).

I don't know where you are located but for travel here in the states your airline bag concerns is Moot.

They allow a carry on as well as a personal bag and a camera bag is concidered a personal bag. My son just shipped out to Japan checking his Sea bag and carring two back packs that I could barely lift either one. His computer was in one his Camera outfit a Canon A-1 and lenses in the other. He had to pull out his external HD's and the computer other wise he ran from the check in to the gate as traffic screwed us on the freeway. MAYBE him being active US NAVY helped but not enough to get extra bags on

Actually the issue is not moot. I fly a couple of times a month and try to never check my

bags, we all have had too many problems in the past. Most of us who travel regularly try to

check as little as possible - speeds up the trip quite a bit. So I keep my photo gear in a

sholder bag and the rest of my travel gear in a medium sized backpack. If my laptop bag

and camera bag are counted as 2 items then I can't carry my backpack onboard.