Digicam as light meter ??

ben conover

Hi, I am a beginner.

I just bought a nice big Fuji 690BL with standard lens, I want the

other lenses for it now......I want to use a meter with the Fuji and

I am not sunny 16 fan. I thought of using my Nikon F4s to meter but

then I thought how much I want a digicam too. So, being a purist at

heart, why can't I just buy a simple point and shoot digicam and ue

that as a light meter for the Fuji ????????????

Any help appreciated with many thanks.

I still use a handheld meter. It can do spot, incident and flash metering. I don't need a histogram for everything. My meter is also cheaper, lighter and smaller than my digicam. The battery lasts a lot longer, too.

But you can save yourself a couple hundred bucks by just using the digicam. It's your choice.

Hello again, as I said initially, I am a beginner, therefore I must trust what answers are offered to my many questions about photography. The first answer concerning my question about using a point and shoot digicam as a light meter was both excellent and fast.

I have read the link posted http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/s30-as-meter.shtml and I think the author of the article http://www.nickrains.com/ is an accomplished proffesional photographer, I love his large format landscapes, and I have learned much from http://www.luminous-landscape.com Therefore I can trust without hesitation the advice and new ideas given.

I also read the link given http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscv3/page12.asp and so I do understand why people do not always 'trust' the manufacturers of digital cameras to show the ISO sensitivity in exact relation to other types of meters. However, if no two meters are ever the same anyway, what does it matter????????? Just use one and grab the shot.

Thankyou.

Hello again, I agree with Meryl and David about the simplicity,acuracy, and functional atributes of using a traditional hand held meter (although I have never used one) and so I will probably get a used Profisix for low light work when I want to keep weight down etc.

Anyhow, I do appreciate learning from all you guys, and thankyou.

I still use a handheld light meter. If the sitaution is really tricky, I might use my Canon EOS

as a meter, but for the most part I just use the meter. I can stick it in my pocket when

travelling light, and it's jsut very convenient.

As far as expense-- I was really broke when I got it, so it's a Sverdlovsk 4 that I got for

$20 from the Ukraine. It far exceeds what I could have hoped for. It's quite accurate, has

a very great field of view (not as tight as a true spotmeter, but fairly tight-- very handy),

runs on pretty much any batthery you cram into it, and for $20 I don't worry about too

much about it.

The digicam needs to be tested against a standard but then can easily be adjusted with compensation or just in your head. I would be surprised if in the next year or two the leading light meter manuf. do not come out with a model that shows a histogram - probably with the option to show by color channel. The meter would need to be able to adjust the area of coverage to match the camera and lens being used. Good meters are already pretty expensive (over priced), perhaps these additional features might be hard to justify as to the cost. Not sure.

Ok, so I have established that I want a digicam as a light meter,

now I want to know which one is best ! I know that really is an impossible question but if anyone has an idea then I would be more than very happy to hear about it. I looked at the Pentax 750Z that Franka mentioned but it looks a little too cheesy. I thought the

Panasonic Lumix FZ20 might be worth a look, so here goes..........

It REALLY depends on where you are shooting.

I have a $1,500 light meter (Nikon D100!) and it often gives readings that I wouldn't be

happy with if I followed them....concert lighting especially. The Spot meter pattern isn't

tight enough for that.

In most situations, Incident Metering is going to give you way better results than any

Camera meter would.

jmp

Hi and thanks John, I am very interested in metering low light for concert photography. It's hard to shoot classical musicians, I'm one, and I am still alive...Anyhow, I am still considering all possibilities. Perhaps a used profisix may actually be better for me than a Canon 1ds Mk2 !

Hello Don,

I thought you wanted to trade your Canon 10D for a Hasselblad, I hope you get on with whatever you use. Interesting to hear about the meter in your Canon. Anyhow, the grass is always greener on the other side. It would be great if Fuji made a new version of the G690BL .......with autoexposure, dream on.................

I guess 'Grandmothers sofa' is not up for sale yet !!

All the best.

• 4 months later...

Don't forget a digicam can't meter flash lights. A digicam is also alot bigger than a light

meter. Although a histogram would work, a light meter will give you better results. Don't

forget if you want the best possible pictures from your nice new purchase you are going to

want the best possible help. It is like for example putting a $20 filter on a $2000 lens!!!

Hope this helps

Ross

• 4 weeks later...

...in a way you can meter flash...

you just have to do a testshot...got a digital pol with histogram.

Then do a Polproof.

It takes more time though.

While its fine working with a digicam for fun you will find it easier to work in the studio when you have a flashmeter, maybe even spotmeter, to meter every light and place you wish.