"All Eggs in One Basket"

photoreu

I also shoot 256 and 512's because my backup system in the field or on the go is an Apacer stand alone CD burner. I can fit a 512 and almost all of a 256 on one CD. I also feel safer shooting on smaller cards due to potential image loss - thankfully, I've never lost any on a CF card, but I almost lost everything on a 1GB microdrive that took a dump on me...

Do you think one day the manufactures will just include the memory in the body? Say 8 gig? So we don't have a silly little card to remove and we can just plug in a usb or firewire cable to our body? Heck, i'd even take a bigger body with a built in 2.5" laptop drive.

This isn't exactly on topic, but Mr Kaplan's remark, "wouldn't believe just how fast you can learn to change film in a Hasselblad magazine" reminds me of something I heard someone say years ago: "You can tell someone's a veteran wedding photographer if he can reload an A12 back without putting down his drink." :-> I always get a chuckle out of that.

The annoying thing is that when I get 157 images on a 1 gig card, I don't pay attention to the amount remaining as I used to studiously with film. With film I used to time it so that I could change out before the ceremony without having half an empty roll, nowadays, hey I've got loads of pics.....till I get the message 'CF Card Full' seconds before the ring shot...

I suppose being a professional is about having your next card loose in a shirt pocket so swaping out takes about one and a half seconds, phew!

I would keep in mind that if you intend to upgrade camera in the future, i.e. 8 megapixel is only a stopgap for your wedding work, that if you upgrade to a 1Ds/MkII in the future then your 512 cards are going to be swopped out as much as your rolls of film used to be.

Here is a thought.... I won't go over a 512 CF card. Not because I am afraid of losing the images. Not because it is a pain to switch or any of those reasons.

One photographer I work with does a BRILLIANT marketing scheme. He brings a laptop with him to the wedding. When we get to the reception we download the images to the laptop and we burn CD's etc. All the images up to the reception usually fit on 2-512 CF cards.

"Anyway, after he downloads and burns the CD he sets up an ACDSEE slide show and then puts that computer with a few business cards and flyers somewhere near where we sit but also near where there is a lot of traffic by guests and the wedding party. I have seen as many as 30 ppl gathered around his slide show looking at the pictures... and picking up flyers and cards. This is the greatest marketing system I have yet to see for wedding photography. Not only that, ppl LOVE IT!"

Do you think that the setup of a laptop with people crowded around it takes away from the attention of the B&G???

It's a bit of a tug of war since if you are constantly replacing cards, this increases wear on the pins, but then if you put all your eggs in one basket, that could lead to disaster.

I use big enough cards that will hold about 150 - 200 images, so I shoot about 3 or 4 cards per wedding. If a card fails, I still got a lot of shots in. I'm very careful about not misplacing cards.

I use Transcend cards because they have never caused me one problem, nor have I ever seen a bad report on them, as I have other cards.

I've lost a roll of film, once, but never a card.

Patrick

<blockquote>

"If you've got 1000 images on 10 cards and one of those ten card craps out, you've still got 900 images. If you've got 1 card with a 1000 images and it craps out you've got a lawsuit :("

True, but that's what insurance is for ;)....

</blockquote>

If I were getting married, and I found out that my photographer was going to shoot the entire wedding on one or two cards, I would find me another photographer.

Do unto others, etc

Patrick

• 3 weeks later...