Super Boom Position & Counterweight

heller_harris

Hi -<br><br>

I just picked up the Hensel version of the Super Boom Arm (8 ft long,

coaxial cranks,) and I have a couple of questions.

<br><br>

First, will I always need a counterweight for a head (not a monobloc)

and softbox?

<br><br>

Second, the pivot is set dead center. Can I move it off center to get

more length?

<br><br>

thanks,<br>Heller<br><a href="http://www.hollywoodscriptanalysis.

com">HollywoodScriptAnalysis.com</a>

About the pivot, torque must equal torque. And, torque equals mass time lever arm.

Thus, 5 pound at four feet requires five pounds at four feet. But, five pounds at six feet

requires fifteen pounds at two feet. And 5 pounds at seven feet requires thirty-five

pounds at one foot.

Hi Heller;

John G. again.

I'd like to give my directives for working with booms, there are specific do's and don'ts, but I don't have the time, at this moment.

Booms do get dumped occassionally, in my studio, about once every eight years. It costs me about $250. to clean up the mess. In one studio I worked in, I was informed that dropping the Hazy Light ($10,000.) was grounds for immediate dismissal.

If you go to my portfolio and look under Portraits, you'll see a Super Boom in my studio. The weight is hidden, but I can tell you that it is right out of sight, towards the back. This is a fairly common position for my boom, with a pretty heavy load. I'm not sure what the counter weight weighs, but it's the big bogen weight. When swinging the boom around, the arm does bow and bend under the weight, but I think it would never break. I've even added additional sandbag weights on the back when I need to get the box way out there.

You can feel the balance when you release the tilt of the arm. It should be fairly well balanced. What dumps a boom (like yesterday, on a smaller boom)is usually the weight slipping down by gravity. Keep it tight.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...