I'm looking for a fast, sharp wedding lens. The critics may say

that with the Nikon 35-70 you may as well just get a 50 mm (I

already have one), but when you are doing candids at weddings, I

find prime lenses difficult at times.

Thanks-

Jim

We currently have this thread: <A

HREF="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Brb4">

Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8 versus Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8</A> on a similar topic.

<P>

I happen to have the 35-70mm/f2.8 also. Its main drawback is that it has a limited zoom range and at least for me, it is no wide enough. Therefore, you'll end up changing lenses a lot, which semi-defects the advantage of using a zoom.

The Nikkor 35-70/2.8D is one of the finest lenses in Nikon's stable - sharp and nearly distortion free. A 50/1.8 may be marginally sharper (the 35-70 is very sharp!). However, you get better utilization of the image area with a zoom, which more than compensates. And you shoot a lot faster.

It is a pump-action zoom, which many find preferable for social event photography, and relatively small compared to the AF-S zooms. The filter ring rotates, making it difficult to use a polarizer. But that's not a concern for wedding photography.

The zoom range is highly effective for the intended use - cropping in the camera once you've place yourself for the perspective. It is not a substitute for shoe-leather, and for that reason diss'd by those looking for a travel lens. With 35mm film, the 35-70 will handle 80% of the shots at a wedding. (With a DSLR, it's about 50/50 together with a 17-35/2.8)

Read the some 100 user reviews on www.photographyreview.com the owners of the Tamron 28-75mm rate the lens 4.52 out of perfect 5 and the Nikon 35- 70 mm was rated 4.49. Very close, the tamron has more coverage and close to macro close focus ability in a light affordable package. I would only consider the Nikon if you were like me owning the Nikon 20-35mm and the 70-200mm VR, in this case you would fill in the gap without gaps or overlaps. The money you save with a New Tamron can be used for strobe, flash brackets, other things you need for shooting weddings. The Tamron would focus real close for shots of the wedding ring.