16.5 Red dot Artar for 8x10?

mark_baylin

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any direct experience with the

Gorez 16.5" F/9 Red Dot Artar for use with the 8x10 format? Does

this lens cover the format comfortably in your experience?...

sharp right to the corners...? I'm used to a 250 Wide Field Ektar

and I've never been able to find the limit for this lenses

coverage... I would love to find a longer lens that would perform

the same.

Also, any experiences with your favourite lens in the 16-18" inch

range (for 8x10) would be great;y appreciated!

Thanks for your help!

Mark Baylin

Mark,

The 16.5" Artar is the shortest Artar that Goerz officially rcommended for 8x10, although Dagor77 claims a 10-3/4" covers fine. I have a 16-1/2" Artar and you will not be disappointed.

The design is common, so a 16.5" Apo-Ronar, Apo-Artar, Repro-Claron, 450mm (18") Fuji C are all the same lens. The Fuji is multicoated, small, and incredibly sharp. If you want a modern lens, get the Fuji.

I assume you excluded the 19" lenses for a reason, but the same info applies there too.

Steve

The 16.5" Red Dot is a real sleeper as it has amazing coverage to more than 11x14 and is sharp right to the edge. I purchased a used one in an Ilex #4 and it is fabulous. My other all around "best" 8x10 lens in your desired focal length is the 450mm Nikon M. I use this one with 8x10 through and including 12x20 and its coverage and contrast is simply astounding. From a costs standpoint, I feel that you could find a more modern Nikon 450M cheaper than what you can get a lens and barrel and pay to mount it. I have seen them go for $450 - $650 but when you find a good one, jump on it. They do not last long.

Cheers!