Question re Lens Fungus

george_borden

I just got a Nikkor 75-150 E series zoom on an infamous auction

site. It was decsribed as having average cosmetics but "perfect"

optics. Looks to me like it's got fungus. (I'll confirm at my local

camera store tomorrow.) Does anybody think a lens with fungus is

optically "perfect"? Do I have grounds for complaint? Thx. George

Borden.

Did they allow you a 3 day return policy for inspection and testing or satisfaction?

Most reputable sellers will do this, however it sounds like they have pulled a fast one

on you. If you used PayPal you may have recourse...otherwise you may be stuck with

it. I suggest trying it out and examine the prints before you go complaining.

"Caveat Emptor" as they say

OK, you bought USED.

Ok, you spent maybe $60-80 dollars and

OK, maybe you can complain but nothing will come of it.

Buying something sight unseen is only asking for trouble and if you can't handle a little risk then stay off Ebay. I have had 225 transactions there and only once was I dissappointed as a buyer. Its a risk I accept for the prices I pay.

It's hard to know weather your lens has fungus or not without a better description of what you are seeing when you examine it. Obviously you are seeing something between the elements or on the outside lens surfaces. If you see fog, dust, fungus, lens separation, cleaning marks, etc., then obviously the lens is not optically perfect. See if the seller will allow you to return it. Most sellers don't want to get negative feedback. Tell them the condition of the optics is unacceptable and give them a chance to return your money.

Next time ask the seller to shine a flashlight through one end of the lens while looking through the other end and give you a report of what they see. I have purchased several Leica lenses through internet auctions and will no longer chance buying anything from a seller living in a state which has high humidity most of the year. Almost always, optical equipment stored for long periods of time in high humidity states such as Florida will have fog and fungus problems. Look for items from dry states such as Arizona, Colorado and Nevada.

Thanks for the responses -- sheepishly I must admit that it's not fungus! It's just some oil. This diagnosis was made by the owner of Pro Photo in Washington, DC, a great guy who does the work himself and whose shop is filled with all kinds of classic equipment. He's cleaning it for me and I'll get my lens at what is still a very reasonable cost.