Nikkor AF-S 28-70 f/2.8 ED or Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8D

sam_ginger

Sam, this topic has been discussed over and over. The 28-70mm/f2.8 AF-S is an excellent lens, especially on film bodies. For digital, IMO its wide end is not quite wide enough. The major down sides are cost, size, and weight. If those problems don't bother you, this is the obvious choice.

The 35-70mm/f2.8 AF-D is excellent also but its zoom range is somewhat limited. It is smaller, cheaper, but it is a push-pull zoom that a lot of people not prefer and its front rotates along with focusing.

Contrary to Shun, I believe the 28-70 (which has the angle of view of a 42-105 on digital), would make a beautiful lens for digital. For example, for portraits, what else would you use, Shun? However, the price is a show-stopper for me because I'd rather put my money elsewhere.

Ideally, for portraits, I prefer a 60 or 70mm with the option of f1.4 and f2 to provide the option of very shallow depth of field when I want it. That is the problem with zooms. But I can certainly see that some people will love the 28-70mm/f2.8 for portrait work on DSLRs.

You also need to keep in mind that I don't like 50mm for film. A 42-105mm-equivalent zoom is not very useful to me. I really like something that provides me 24, 28, and 35mm-equivalent for film to shoot events indoors. That is why the 28-70mm/f2.8 is so great for event photography with film bodies and the 17-55mm/f2.8 DX works out great for me in digital.

But these are strictly personal preferences. Your mileage will likely be different.

Shun, that is exactly right. The 28-70 is not an event photography lens for digital cameras. But that is just one very narrow aspect of photography. Your original reply did not make it clear you were referring only to event photography. Unfortunately, Nikon does not make a fast 60 or 70 lens. I believe the 28-70 and 35-70 are the only two that cover that range at a decent speed. Personally I would make do with a 50/1.8. Given the D2X's extraordinary resolution, you could easily crop to emulate an 85 to 100 mm lens on film.

I think the quality of my 28-70 is excellent in all ways and the AFS is extremely quick and quiet. A top lens in my opinion. It is sharper and illuminates the picture more even than my AF 28mm f:2,8 (first AF version). It does however not fit well on light cameras like my FM2n. It is simply too heavy. On an F5 it is a perfect match if you do not care about carrying several kilos.

Sam, read Bob Atkins' review of the Tamron SP AF28-75/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF):

http://www.photo.net/equipment/tamron/28_75_Di/

You might be persuaded to consider the Tamron as a good value and competent alternative to the Nikkors. Keep in mind it's designed for digital sensors in the 1.5x range so it may not be fully useful with 35mm AF SLRs - there might be some vignetting.

Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8D have litle higher grades *MTF 3.8 vs.<br>

Nikkor AF-S 28-70 f/2.8 ED have *MTF 3.7 which means sharpnes <br>

and resolving power. <br>

<br>

- Focal lenght is in favor of 28-70mm (29-67mm) vs. 35-70 (36-69mm)<br>

- Price is definitely in favor of 35-70 almost 2x <br>

- Make quality and HARDINESS is even (I'm in favor of old disign of 35-70)<br>

- If AF give advantage to 28-70mm becouse of motor, but 35-70 is fast enought.<br>

<br>

>>recommend? <br>

I all ready DECIDE for my self and ... thet is 35-70! <br>

:)))