SB800 and SB600

david_thomas8

I was wondering whether it would be a significant advantage to use

both my SB800 and SB600 together when shooting wedding formals?

The Nikon CLS (Creative Lighting system) is optimised for 3

speedlights. Would 2 be effecive (SB800 on D70) SB600 positioned on

other side of triangle to eliminate shadows.

Is the SB600's flash output directly controlled by the SB800?

Dave

Dave, why do you think the CLS is optimized for 3 lights?<br>

<br>

The SB800 can separately control 3 <i>groups</i> of lights which can be a mix of SB800 and SB600 units. So...yes, the SB600 could be effective in reducing shadows and is controlled by the SB800 that is used on the camera as the commander.<br>

<br>

Joe

It really depends on where you are shooting, inside? outside? inside it makes a big difference outside, not so much. IMO.

Recently I did an engagement formal inside, SB800 mounted on camera, Sb-800 and Sb600 mounted to either side. I foudn this very effective.

Nick<div>00Bo2M-22804084.jpg.c1224c537fc99d281cdeb78cffbc1b40.jpg</div>

I would consider a dual-flash bracket. While the results would not quite equal those you could get with a flash away from the camera on a stand, it would be one less thing to worry about in a hectic environment such as a wedding.

However if you have an assistant who can guard your equipment and help set folks up for these photos, having an extra light or two off-camera could be very effective.

Actually the Nikon CLS can handle an unlimited number of SB-800 /SB-600 Speedlights

grouped in up to three groups and three channels per group. National Geographic

photographer Joe McNally apparently sometimes uses as many 20 in a set up.

Yes the SB-600 output can be directly controlled from an SB-800 attached to the camera

(via either SC-17/-28 0r -29 cables -- I string up to 3 SC-17 cables together to gett he

master flash up to 15 feet from the camera). This SB-800 is the master and any additional

SB-800 /-600 Speedlights used are grouped into either the A,B, or C channel. Output for

these channels is set via the controls on the master. controls include turning off the

output of photographic light of any of the lights, including the master, individually