Latest wedding. Please critique

Okay guys, here's my latest effort, the pick of the litter, in

my "new wedding" folder. I'd appreciate your honest comments. I was

second shooter for this wedding, which was Roman Catholic and

Vietnamese. The entire service was in Vietnamese, a language in

which I don't even have menu fluency. It was an usual ceremony,

very somber, no kiss. BTW, on several critiques I've railed against

all the angled images and here I find myself doing the same thing.

I'm coming clean. Flog me. I deserve it. And my apologies to

anyone who I previously criticized for doing that.<div>00BoWI-22818984.jpg.8c67d7cdbf28d64f9d0cf2ff4ddcc5b6.jpg</div>

Is this the best you have to show from a wedding? while it's OK the wine botle drops it in my opinion. I would have included the bride and groom in a cake cutting photo this looks more like bad product photography then wedding photography. The lighting and other technical aspects are good.

I'm not as qualified as every one else on this board but here goes...

I do agree the bottle is distracting. BUT, if you were shooting as an assistant, it's difficult to get clean shots as you are left to work with the space you did not choose yourself. I'm sure the main shooter would have set up the shot cleanly and have that covered. I'm sure there are full shots of both the cake, bride and groom. I myself shoot both just the hands and cake as well. I actually think that shot adds nicely to the pickings.

My favorite is the communion (SP?) shot. That's definitely an album candidate!

I see you're shooting both D70 and D2X... =)

I like the shots to be honest ... even the cake cutting one you posted above ... it's different and while the wine bottle does seem to take something away it doesn't ruin the picture. I do like the shot of the little boy in your folio, but it seems to be a bit blurry ... where you shooting from a tripod/monopod??

I think they look great for what they are. I'm guessing this was shot digitally (the coloring

appears to be)? I can't tell if it's the digital compression or if some of them really are

blurry. Since they aren't blurred to show motion, and you prefer not to use flash, perhaps

a higher ISO and faster shutter speed would work better here? Even if it means a little

more grain- it would really help to clean up the image. Also- do you ever do a manual

white balance? Perhaps before the ceremony starts, you can set your white balance near

the front of the church where most of your shots will be taken? Many of these are a little

too yellow (for me). These are really nitpicky things; overall, you have a great eye.

• 1 month later...