My first wedding completed... please critique

My first wedding is completed!! I was looking forward to it for quite a while and I think I

got a few good shots (well more than a few I hope!!). I had a bit of a hard time with the

wedding... just the atmosphere. The bride was pregnant and am not sure if that was the

reason. Also the dancing was outdoors and there was no light except for a few tealights. I

had been told that there were going to be loads of candles, white lights and that the DJ

would have stuff as well. The bride said that they just never got round to it, so I was

caught a bit off guard with that. So those didn't turn out as well as I would have liked, but

I think that bride will be happy with them. The formals turned out better though than I

had hoped! So have a look in the new wedding folder and let me know what you think! A

big thanks as well to all those who gave me advice and helped me through this first one!<div>00BVUy-22364684.jpg.781866c2821d63d08f27f9d70dc615c8.jpg</div>

Sorry... here is the link to the photos. I also wanted to say that the photos may appear a

bit dark. I had to leave straight away to visit family the day after the wedding so I have

been working on these photos on my laptop. I think the screen is a bit brighter so I have

adjusted accordingly, but that will be fixed once I arrive home and adjust on my computer

there.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=908465

Mellisa,

Great job. I think you have some great images here and to use a cliche, a good eye. You picked out some great photo ops, and created others. I can sing your praises some more, and if you would like me to just let me know and I will, but I will proceed to some hopefully helpful constructive criticism. You said that the photographs might be dark due to your computer screen. I can see where you can correct that in a few of the shots. I am currently in the middle of experimenting with some good flash, both on and off camera. I think maybe some of your images, especially the formals, might "pop" as some of the pros here say, with at least some fill. I guess by way of illustration I can only point out the formal with the girls standing, the backroud seem to take over the image. I know sometimes the metering can be difficult, especially since you don't have a spot meter on the camera, and if you aren't using a supplemental meter. Anyway, good luck working on those images.

Great Job.

Alok

Hi Melissa, you certainly have an eye for details - I like those shots a lot. I like the girls walking towards you too. A couple of the b&w conversions are a little flat and could stand a little post-processing pickup. I find the groom faces the camera too squarely, but I can appreciate the challenges of posing a pregnant bride ;-). I think they'll be happy with the photos.

Alok - I never minded a bit of singing!! ;-) Thanks for the lovely comments and the

constructive criticism as well. I know I need to work on my flash techniques. I have always

struggled with this. I have a 580ex and a vivitar 285 and have read and re-read the

manuals, but I still get confused by them sometimes. I guess just more practicing!

William - She was only 18 weeks along, but she was really showing! So we have a lot of

her looking over her shoulder, but she also didn't want her tattoos on her shoulder

showing so we did a lot of positioning with the veil. As to the groom, he seemed a bit

annoyed at having his photo taken and didn't say anything to me throughout the whole

wedding! He just definitely wasn't into it.

Mellisa,

I looked through both of your wedding folders. It definitely seems like the first one was a more intimate experience for you as a phtographer. I think witht he distance from your subjects and a bright sky in the background you posed yourself some flash challanges. I saw one person had toyed with your mages with curves on PS. It took out all detail in the sky but it worked for that image. This is the beauty of digital, right. Also, did you use a tripod for the reception? It might help it not to get one, even a cheaper one that feels sturdy enough. Post some of your other images from the new wedding as you work on them if you like. I really liked the composition and idea of the girls walking toward the camera, may borrow it. Also, I like the effect of showing all of the guys spread out, it has a nice effect, i think if you get in a little bit closer to them, it might make it easier to get them all lit up nicely with your two flashes.

Alok

So far so good with your First Wedding shoot. Looks like you've shot others -- were you an assistant there?<p>

What about your equipment -- looks like you have a dRebel and a 10D -- what are you using flash-wise and lens-wise?

<p>

Congratulations.

The photo above--if you were directing it, I would have had the bride bend her elbow a little. Looks a little stiff/tense. Old posing rule about joints being bent. Not that you need to follow rules all the time but most rules have a good original reason for existing.

Melissa, you got your first SLR in May and you're turning out pics like these? I hate you. I agree with the previous comments that these are great for the first time out (though I'm confused about the other wedding folder if this is your first--I mean if you're lying about that then maybe you have a college degree in photography and have been shooting a Leica since age four and that's why you're just now into SLR :-)) As noted above you need to work on your fill flash technique and some posing issues, but you did a masterful job minimizing the appearance of the baby-in-oven. It appears you have a foot fettish. I think it's kind of cute with the girls. I'm not sure the guys shoes do much for you though. If they were wearing cowboy boots, might be more interesting, kind of a James Dean wedding look, but the Thom McCans, not so much. I like the picture of the champagne flute but it might look better off center, using the 1/3 rule (another of those dreaded rules you're licensed to break at will). I'm not sure what the blurry motion picture is about. From what I can figure though, I'd lose it. I do think that there is less emotion in these pics than that other wedding you didn't shoot. Sounds like it may have more to do with the couple than you, or maybe you haven't posted those yet. Anyway, great start. Send more Chuck Berry (oops-old SNL joke you're too young to remember). Paul

I think it is impressive that you have hit it with a definite style straight off. I might quible about some details but I am sure most of it can be sorted out. Overall I think there might need to be a bit more emphasis on peoples faces as you can overdo the bottom of people's shoes approach.

I think you did a great job! Especially for your first time. I agree that you "have the eye." I just hope you got paid enough! Kudos to you. Keep it up. It gets easier with each wedding. (well, the shots get easier, for me the nerves are still there!) And, I think you gave me a couple ideas for my next one! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you all for the responses! I did shoot a wedding previously, but it was a friends

wedding and it was for my benefit as she had a proper photographer as well. This was the

first one on my own. I do have more posed shots, photos that I thought were more the

standard. I promise these are my only foot shots (although I do have a bit of a fetish

about feet photos!). All these photos are still being worked on as well and I really

appreciate people having a go at the photos as well. The dress photo looks really nice in

B&W, I will definitely do that! I will post more as I get them finished, and thanks again so

much for the nice comments!

Loved the pics. I've done several dozen weddings -I would say successfully if the renumeration was any indication. One thing to avoid hard time is to BE PREPARED. Make sure your gear is good to go -back-up cameras and several flash units and lots of film. Then JUST GO WITH IT. Every family will be different. Remember, you're not the wedding planner - your task is to document the event and to shoot great formals. Equip yourself lightly. Go for the available light shooting but remember weddings are not necessarily documentaries as such- they are happy party events. Flash and fill flash go with this territory. You've got to make certain to light up those beautiful faces and smiles. Keep a list a desired shots so that you won't brain-freeze. Plan what you want out of it and be quick about it. Full blown formals don't take me more than 1/2 hour anymore. Work with them and be FLEXIBLE. Best Regards, Paul