Winogrand in Nashville, TN

Winogrand is also on exhibit at the FOAM in Amsterdam (I believe until the end of March?). Includes many photos of his "woman are beautiful" book. Also exhibited are some private collections and a few pieces from some of his contemporaries. Worth a visit if you are in the area.

Don't want to sound like a "Mr knows it all" but the "1964" book is an original, not a re-issue of a vintage one. GW travelled the U.S. (in a very close fashion to Frank did around 1957) but unlike Frank GW did not publish the results.

"1964" is now scarce partly because Arena the publisher went out of business shortly after the release of the book. Still, I often saw it being offered on Ebay at extortionate prices (200, 250, 300$) but I rarely saw any bids for these auctions...Anyway it's a great book imho.

GW worked in an era when most eyes were (save for the great John Szarkowski) turned to "genuinely artistic" photography (Eliot Porter, Jerry Uelsmann, Duane Michals, Jack Welpott, etc ad nauseum). Now they're forgotten and books are made with Winogrand's 40-y.o."snapshots". Life is ironic sometimes...