Goerz Minicord - what is it?

ejstark

Hello friends!

Today I've bought a small collection from the guy, who's father was an

amateur photographer in 60-80es.

One of the cameras was Goerz Minicord No. 3746 (+ original leather

case and 2 cassettes for the film) for which I've paid US$100.

Can anybody tell me smth. about this camera because I've found only

short descriptions about Goerz plant on the Pacific Rim Camera web-site.

- Did anybody used this camera and how it was?

- Is it worth to try to use it now or just keep it as collectable?

- And the last question: "How do you think, did I overpay for this

camera?"

:-)

BTW, the other cameras I bought are Canonet G-III QL17, Konica C35EF

and Polaroid SX-70. All are in the excellent condition. It seems that

the previous owner just tried to shoot one film (or casette) and laid

back the cameras into their cases. I think QL17 will become my best

loved compact 35's. :-)

You have to change the setting on your post to html in the little message box below where you type your message (the one that says, "The above test is:_________")

Are you in Europe? Foma (http://www.foma.cz) makes a black and white reversal film (meaning you get a positive, like slide film, only in black and white) called Fomapan R 100 that is available in 16mm with double perforations. Comes in reels, so you would have to cut and load your cassettes in a darkroom, but I would guess a reel would last you a while. Finding someone to develop it might be a test, but not impossible as it is just movie film. Not sure where you would get this in US - J&C maybe?

Erick,

Congrats on the $100 Minicord! From what I've read (and watched on "the Bay" auctions), you got a heckuva deal!

I have wanted a Minicord for some time and actually went so far as to purchase two film cassettes for the Minicord against the day I (hopefully) find a Minicord camera. (Yeah, cart before the horse, I know!)

--Micah in NC

You should be able to load your cassettes with standard 16mm movie film (they do still make that, don't they?).... Last I knew (like 25 years ago), kodak made negative emulsions in Plus-X and Tri-X in 16mm; I bought a 100 foot roll of Plus-X and I'm still working on it in my Minolta 16s.

I bought a Minicord once at a garage sale for $2. This was before eBay and I never did manage to find cassettes for it; eventually I gave up and sold it, for about $200. I did take it apart first, it's pretty fascinating.... the shutter is timed by air through a needle valve that's opened and closed by turning the shutter speed dial.

rick :)=

If you're in Europe, not only can you get the Foma 100R, you can also buy Foma's reversal developing kit. It would most likely work, with adjustment of first developer time, with most B&W films, but it or something like it is *required* with Foma reversal film, because that film has an opaque colloidal silver antihalation layer -- developed as a regular negative, it will show solid black on black. The bleaching step for reversal removes the antihalation along with the first developer negative image.

However, Kodak still sells Plus-X, Double-X, and Tri-X (in some permutation of reversal or negative forms) in 16 mm single perf on 100 foot camera spools; all of this film can be developed as ordinary negatives regardless of its "negative" or "reversal" designation, and I'm told that Tri-X Reversal is essentially the same as Tri-X still film, including an EI of 320 to 400 when developed to still photo contrast levels. There are also a number of C-41 motion picture negative stocks sold in 16 mm single perf, though it may be a challenge to find a lab that will process *those* if they know what they are.

Hello friends!

Thank you for the answers!

I'm in Europe, particularly in Russia. I've checked the FOMA site and haven't found the information that FOMA 100R is produced in 16mm format. Also I called to the local Kodak representative and they said that they don't supply the 16mm films to the Russian market, but if I want they can order it for me but the minimum quantity must be not less that several 100 foot rolls :-((

Anyway I think it's possible to buy our domestic 16mm movie films. Does anybody know, is the perforation of 16mm a standart for all movie/photographic films?

As far as I know, the perforations are standard in size and spacing. There are 2 variations though: one has perforations down both edges, and the other has them only on one side. The last series of Minolta 16s (MG-S, QT) used this type and had a larger negative area than the earlier Minolta 16s; if you use double-perf film in these, you'll have to crop the area where the perforations clip into the image. All other 16mm still cameras that I am familiar with can use either type of film.