Waiting my tax return and I could get...

ike k

Okay Guys my tax fund would be in possesion shortly and I'm planning to dip in $2000 for

my long time passion of leica M, so what can I get? a used M6 ttl with a lens maybe 35/1.4

lux? or just 35/2 cron? I try to look at KEH.com but seems they don't have any m6ttl in

stock so I dunno what is the market value nowdays and eBay sometimes just don't really

have any standard on used price. Some people just bid high and put the price well above,

anyway Can't wait for my adventure with "M" and thanks for any infos! Btw anyone selling

their beloved M6? email me pleaseeeeeee...:)

iKe

Can't really say what the market value is but it sure seems as though recently the M6TTLs have been creeping up a few hundred from where they were 6 months ago. The 0.85 and 0.58 finders fetch a premium but even the 0.72s are not exactly cheap like they were. I would guess a nice one will run you at least $1300.

My recommendation for $2,000 or less: If you must have a meter, I would look for an early M6 and a 50mm Summicron. This combination will set you back a number nicely within your budget. However, If you don't need a meter, a very clean (but not mint) M4 could be had for about the same price (with the same 50mm Summicron) and it's a better made camera overall. Don't spend the rest of your money though; if the camera (either one) has been lying around for awhile, it may need a CLA (about $275+/-).

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

You could probably get an M6 and earlier 35mm Cron within your budget. KEH might be a good source as they are generally conservative with their ratings and not that much more than on ebay. Or ebay . Look for a reputable seller who has experience selling and evaluating cameras. You can also be patient and wait for someone here on this forum who might be offering a camera sometime in the near future.

Ike, I'd be patient and wait for someone to offer the camera you want. In any case, check the classified ads (link's in the upper right of the screen), visit the Non-SLR items and gauge the offers.

<p>

You can always check with Don Chatterton. He sold me my first Leica. If you <a href="http://www.donchatterton.com">CLICK HERE</a> you'll see his website. He usually has M6TTL for sale at reasonable prices. Just test them for leaks and performance very carefully upon arrival. Mine came with a leak and I noticed it too late to have it exchanged. But that's another story...

<p>

Have fun shopping now!

Don't buy a M6TTL. I have never understood why the camera was made in the first place. It is bigger than an M6. The shuuter dial turns the opposite way of every other M body made. The flash sync is the same slow speed as the M6,1/50th. AND, the best deal in "town" right now is a used M6"Classis"[nonTTL}. An M6 can easily be purchased for 1100 or 1200 bucks. Best Buy on a leica lens, hands down, is a 40mm C Summicron. Can be purchased for about 300- 400, sometimes less. That leaves you 400 or 500 to play with. Buy a 90 Tele-Elmarit in Excellent++ for 400 to 500 or buy the CV 21mm new with finder for 330.00 from Photovillage. If you don't need a metered camera, hang out on e-bay and get a user M4. I bought one for less than 800.00 which had a single little ding on a otherwise absolutely beautiful camera.