Pentax 67 SMC 75mm/4.5 vs Pentax 67 SMC 75mm/2.8

r_b_p

Greetings,

I am interested in purchasing one of these lenses. I like the idea

of having a 2.8 but, I also like the idea of finding the 4.5 for a

great price on the used market. What it boils down to is the

optical quality which will be the deciding factor. Reading

previous posts, the 75 2.8 suffers from some barrel distortion.

Looking at the sample image, looks like it was shot at infinity.

How does the lens perform at middle middle range and close

focus as this is how I plan on using it - environmental portraiture.

Regarding the 75 4.5, how does this perform at infinity, medium

range and close focus? The optimum f-stops would be a great

plus of info on each lens.

Do these lenses vary from lens to lens in optical quality? I have

seen some of these on the used market in "like new" and it

makes me wonder why someone would sell it.

Any info would be great. I appreciate your experiences and

knowledge.

Thanks

Richard

I have not used the f/2.8 so will answer your inquiry regarding the f/4.5. The f/4.5 has my vote for being in the top three best performing lenses in the lineup. It does really well at infinity and mid range. For close focus, I suggest stopping down because it was not corrected for spherical aberration at that distance. This lens has a huge sweet spot but I feel the best stop is f/8. There is some variation from lens to lens but mostly it is the 105mm that has a history of this. I owned my f/4.5 for 14 years and finally sold it after the 55-100 zoom proved itself to be capable at the 75mm focal length.

to add more, the 75/2.8 costs $ 700+, even used its selling over $ 600. You can pick up a 4.5 for $ 250 or less these days used. If you dont need the speed, and dont mind focusing through 4.5 darkness, get the 4.5....however, in the long run, the 75/2.8 will have better resale value and is much easier to focus with at 2.8...I guess it depends on what and how you shoot<p>

www.antiquecameras.net

The critical focus is very important to me. The 2.8 definitely has

its pluses for focusing accuracy in dimly lit interiors. A photo net

member, Derek Stanton sent me some excellent examples of

the lens performance. and now I'm swaying back to the 2.8. I

guess you could cosider me to be a prime example of a

"flip-flopper".

I have both lenses, and they are both good performers. However, for my work I would always use the f2.8 when possible. The focusing is MUCH easier (because of the brighter viewfinder) and I find the lens EXTREMELY sharp at all apertures (easily as sharp as the wonderful 55mm f4 and 300mm f4 EDIF lenses). Although the f4.5 lens produces sharp results when focused well, I think the f2.8 has the edge in terms of resolution. The only objections I have heard to the f2.8 lens are some distortion (which I have never noticed with the sort of work I do) and cost (which only you can weigh up).

I have got good results with the f4.5 lens too, but it's tricky to focus precisely. If you tend to shoot on a tripod with the lens stopped down, this is not such an issue, and the cost saving is probably justified. Also if your sort of work might highlight the distortion that the f2.8 supposedly has, you might also favour the f4.5 lens (although, as I say, I've never seen any signs of this distortion). Otherwise, I'd go for the f2.8 lens if cost is not a killer factor.

A personal vote for the f2.8!

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

By the way, if it helps, I can point you to a couple of photographs that I have just had published, taken with the 75mm f2.8. They are in a UK-based magazine, but if you can get hold of it, it may give you some indication of the quality of the lens, and whether or not the alleged distortion seems to matter in a real application. One of the pictures is a double-page spread (i.e. A3), so it gives a good idea of the lens (as much as magazine repro ever can)...

If interested, let me know, and I'll pass you the details.

The magazine is Steam Railway, published in the UK by Emap Active. The pictures taken with the 75mm f2.8 are the centre spread, and the double-page frontispiece shot in the current issue. If you have difficulty getting hold of the magazine from a shop, the magazine's website is www.steamrailway.co.uk

Hope this helps,

Ed