woohoo! M3 has a new owner! - a question about film feeding.

brambor

I have just picked up a user M3 I bought here at photo.net. I am so

elated. I have one question about the film loading. I was reading the

FAQ and it said you have to take the spool out to thread the film into

it. My spool appeared to be non removable. I inserted the film latch

into it and wound the film right up. It was actually easier to feed

than my M6ttl. Is this some kind of MOD?

I have tried gently and it appeared to be latched with something. But it wasn't necessary to remove the spool to load the film. I wound the crank twice to align the slot and then threaded the film the same way I do with M6. I cranked it a few times and it caught right on. So I closed the door, attached the baseplate and vound two frames, while watching the rewind knob turn.

Even if your camera has the quick load system designed for the M2/3, you should still be able to pull the spool out. You need to turn the camera over and allow the silver center to drop out; you can then pull the spool out of the camera. You will need to do this anyway to reset the film counter.

Note this: While your film is still in the camera, pull up on the rewind knob and rewind it gently until you feel the film is taught. After you drop the knob back down, fire a shot and advance the film. While you're advancing the film you should see the red dot(s) in the middle of the rewind knob rotating. If they're not turning, the film is not advancing. In such a case, your film is not being pulled onto the spool and not loaded properly.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

well Roger, the question was (as stated) whether it is a modification or the original design. Since I have never in my life seen another M3 and relied only on textual FAQ 'deshalb' I became naturally curious... and so I posted the question.

From the pictures posted I'm pretty sure I have the quick load kit.

If I didn't feed it Provia 400F I would take pics right now but it may not be necessary. Thanks for the help guys.

Why not ask me , Rene?

The camera is using a quick loading kit-the plastilc "hand".

When you are going to load the film, take out the spool completely and insert film end into the small aperture on it. Insert it back again.

Did you notice that when you open the botom plate and put the camera straight up, a whitesteel tube will come outside of the spool ? Just pull out the spool using the steel tube.

Actually I feel like the loading of M3 is easier than M6, because you will never failed.

Have fun.

Rene-

I got my M3 (with rapid load kit) not to long ago as well. In case you haven't noticed yet, you need to tug on the little metal doo-hickey inside the take-up spool in order to reset the frame counter. I'm embarrassed to tell you how long it took me to figure this out.

(Your M6 frame counter resets automatically when you take off the base plate.)