Card Readers

b_va

I have used this one for a long time and it works great. It is also very popular: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&Q=&is=REG&O=productlist&sku=353126

That said, I actually try to remove my card as seldom as possible from my D200 and D50, unless I fill it up. I transfer right off the camera and card with Nikon View and always format the card after the images are on my hard disk. I have not heard that it's better to transfer via a reader, and can't imagine why. However, I am careful to connect the cord first, turn on the camera, then start the transfer software.

<p><em>"From what I gather one should transfer via a reader

than my D200. Is there real merit to that?"</em></p>

<p>I have a Crucial card reader that I had intended to use when I

purchased it, but I always end up transferring directly from

D200. That draws a lot of battery power, but spares me from the

chance of bending the contact pins while swapping cards (an

unlikely event, but anything can happen if you're unlucky). I

much prefer having a a couple high capacity CF cards and

transferring in-camera (as opposed to a few smaller ones swapped

every once in a while in a hurry). If I were you, I'd get a

standalone storage with card support -- that's worthwhile.</p>

<p>I really hope the next generation of Nikon prosumer bodies

have both CF/SD support... it's about time.</p>

I don't know if this is true or not... I heard this while taking an entry level photography class from a local studio after I bought my D50... The instructor said if you have the choice between using a card reader and transferring directly from the camera that you should use the card reader... His reasoning was that if the battery on your camera were to go out while transferring, there is a substantial risk of files becoming corrupt and thus images lost...

The September issue of "Shutterbug" magazine has a review of card readers. There IS a difference. The Delkin 5-in-1 (or is it 15-in-1) is among the best. The penultimate slowest readers are the PCMCIA card adapters, topped only by transfer directly from the camera. Some of the USB readers are pretty slow too. You can read the review and make up your own mind.

I have a PNY reader with a rat-tail, USB 2.0 high speed and it's darned fast, never had trouble with it. One laptop has a CompUSA PCMCIA CF reader and it's about half the speed of the PNY reader but it's always with the laptop. The other laptop has a Sandisk PCMCIA reader and it's about the same speed as the CompUSA. I've never had errors off any of them. They cost $15, $12, $13 respectively.

I prefer the readers to the cable off the D200 because it wouldn't take anything to break the USB mini connector off the camera. Since I live off laptops, the PCMCIA cards are always with me, the USB cable never.

Get any CF reader that displays the USB 2.0 High-speed logo and you'll be fine. Don't blow $50 on it.

FYI

Newer laptops come with a PCMCIA Express slot, a whole different monster. The new Mac Pro has a PCMCIA-E 34 slot meaning the card always has to hang out of the laptop to accept CF cards.