35mm Leitz Brightline Finder

Last week I opened a box with Leica stuff in it. Among others, there

is a mint 35mm Leitz Brightline finder in it [in box]. How can I

determine its current collector's value? I don't want to keep it

hidden in a box, and I might as well sell it to a collector or rich

user :-) Do you know what asking price would be reasonable?

IMO, assuming you label it properly and you have any eBay history at all, if you started a seven day auction with an opening bid at just one dollar, I would predict it would close in the neighborhood of $500 or more. A buy-it-now of $350 would close in a couple of hours. There are guys out there who collect just these finders (and mint chrome 35mm finders are getting quite scarce).

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

You could ask a specialty dealer for a price. Such as Luigi Crescenzi at Leicatime.

Or, if it is pristine, list it on Ebay with a high reserve and see what happens. Ordinary condition examples on the web I've seen have been listed at $300 and above. I was in the market for one some 3 years ago, but dropped out when I realized that they were getting scarce and prices were high.

It's really sorry to see people try to make big profit from selling their photo equipment. However, it is all about fair trading so there is nothing we can do about. I keep an eye on 35mm Leitz finders for a while because my M3 doesn't have a bright line for it. Months ago there are 35mm finder on Ebay sold for $100~$130 and a Zeiss 35mm finder sold for $80~$100 but recently really roaring high ($200+). Personally I think this is seasonal due to the comming spring and summer. I think the prices will drop back around September so if you guys want to get one, it worth the wait.

Thanks a lot for your collective advices. I am not a dealer as some of you may know and I don't even need the extra cash, but this item just sits there in a box since I don't need it. I am surprised by its current collector value, and I don't feel a bit guilty trying to get a market value for it. I am reluctant to go with ebay because things are often being bought for values below their true market values.

I think the one that Raid has is the SBLOO 35 mm brightline finder, which is a beautifully made chrome finder that is a pleasure to look through. The Weisu was (I believe) the earliest individual 35 mm finder (not including the torpedo multifinders that had a frame for 35 mm. The came in chrome or black paint with the flared front (as in the picture above) or without the flare. There was an even rarer 50 mm finder of similar type (I forget the code name) that I believe was made for the Leitz single shot device.

The rare Leica finders, believe it or not, can reach prices of $ 1500 or more. The SBLOO is not in that league but can bring $ 350 to 500 depending upon condition.