Need repair for leica m6

A while ago, my m6 got a hole burnt into the shutter curtain. While I

manage to use sealent to patch up the hole ( I just ran a roll

through it..will develop it later to see if it turns out ok), I was

wondering if replacing the entire shutter curtain is worth it? I'll

just like to check out the prices the members here paid for their

shutter curtains to get replaced..thanks!

Probably not worth replacing the curtains. It used to be a fairly common repair back in pre-SLR days, and most repair guys back in the 1960's would just glue a litle piece of shutter curtain material over the hole, charge you maybe five bucks maximum, and you'd be good to go for another bunch of (more careful) years.

Tan Tien Yun,

Gerry Smith of Kindermann Canada just did this repair for me. If you email me, I will tell you, or anyone else who care to email how much it was. I had both curtains replaced (yup I burned a hole in each curtian) but only one need it because my patch job was good enough to stop light. Happy customer plug, Gerry is a skilled repairman, and Kindermann is a good outfit.

Recomend you test your patch by taking the lens off and exposing the hole to direct sunlight. This is testing is overkill but can create piece of mind. (However, early M6 lack the baffles later M6 appear to have have so you may see other leaks. That is whythe instruction manual recomends not to change lenses in direct sun.)

Also see Nemeng's Leica FAQ for good advice.

miles

I want to give a plug for Gerry at Kindermann too. Great repairperson and an awesome guy; he went above and beyond what I had given him in terms of his repair mandate. And I hear that they're one of the most affordable 'top' Leica repairshops around.

>Miles S. , mar 11, 2005; 09:30 p.m.

>Gerry Smith of Kindermann Canada just did this repair for me. If you email me, I will tell

you, or anyone else who care to email how much it was

Why don't you just post the cost? Then a bunch of people now, or searching through the

archives later, won't have to send email.

gee..thanks guys. An update..the seal didn't quite work so well..now every alternate frame or so has a bright spot so I applied another thin coating of sealeant. The sealent is black sealent btw.

I think if this doesn't work..I'll have to really replace the shutter curtain..

No idea...from what I gathered it happened on a CLOUDY day from looking at my rolls..(1/2 my roll that cloudy is ok except the next frame had this great big flare and from then on you could see small dots on the subseq frames..)...

maybe I opened to full aperture so the light somehow bounced around and focused on one spot. Damn it..I burnt 3 rolls already!!