For Mac users: LaCie Ext. HD problem fixed

For you Mac users out there: I purchased a LaCie 250 gig. HD the other day and

couldn't get it to mount. I checked the LaCie website and got the ususal BS about

checking your cords. I downloaded LaCie's software upgrade for my OS 10.2 version.

I zapped my PRAM, disconnected power for 20 minutes and even installed a new PCI

firewire card (which I needed anyway) and nothing. Nada. I checked all of the firewire

ports with three different devices and everything worked. I rummaged around the web

looking for info. and read about formatting the device, but didn't see that option in

my Mac. The Lacie wouldn't show up in devices and volumes but would show up in

my disk utility. But there was no formatting option as I could see. Finally, I called

LaCie tech support and spoke to them after only a 5 min. wait or thereabouts. The

answer was to go into disc utility, select the LaCie and go to the erase option. Select

Mac OS extended for the format and erase, WHICH IS THE SAME AS FORMATTING.

The Icon appeared immediately on the desktop. Why the tech support guy at LaCie

could tell me this but not have this tidbit on their web site is a mystery to me. On

the average, I think tech support sucks and this is a better example than most.

Anyway, I'm copying to the new HD as I write this.

I have 2 of the drives and they seemed to work fine when I first plugged them in. Then one would disappear. After turning it off and on again it came back. I'll try your idea and see if it works on these. My system is brand new and I don;t have anything on the drives yet. OT - Coming from a PC to a Mac is a learning curve!