With the new airport 'carry on' restrictions, I am planing to put my Mini

Trekker AW, with my large format gear in the baggage hold. I am hoping to fly

to India and was proposing to buy a hard shell case for the gear and put my

clothing etc in a rucksack. I was also hoping to get a roller type case. Has

anyone any experience with hard shell cases and could make a reccommendation

for this little backpack.

Many thanks

Robin

Regardless of where you are flying, or the firmness of the case, I'd do my best to avoid placing anything of value in the hold of the aircraft unless you're rich, have really good insurance and are able to replace the item easily at your destination. The issue is less damage to the gear, though that is a consideration, than simple theft or loss.

Good luck.

Eric

Robin,

The Mini Trekker AW is pretty protective of the gear inside so it should be pretty safe

inside a good hard case outer-shell. I'd suggest one of the Pelikan cases since they're

designed for rugged wear and tear.

I would also suggest that you check with your home insurer... you might want to add a

rider onto the policy that covers all of your camera gear. This isn't going to be inexpensive

but it's well worth the additional expense if only for peace of mind.

Make sure it covers the "replacemnt cost" of your gear for both theft and damage. You'll

be okay.

Cheers

The only new carry-on restrictions that I know of are 1) between the UK and the US, depending on the airline, and 2) against liquids. I traveled under the new rules within the US, and I was permitted to carry a camera and film onto the plane. The TSA was suggesting that people carry less stuff onto the plane, but was not requiring this. I suggest checking the TSA rules before your trip, and perhaps also checking with your airline. Whatever you do, do not check film because sometimes checked luggage is x-rayed with machines that will damage undeveloped film.

I would never check-in valuable equipment on an international flight. I've known too many

photographers, including professional photographers, that have lost very valuable

photographic equipment that was checked in.

The only workable solution recommended by the pro's I've talked to regarding this is to

forward your equipment to your destination by a reliable package or freight carrier like

FedEx, DHL, or UPS. And be sure that your equipment is insured for replacement cost for

theft and damage.

Traveling by Air with expensive photo gear has become a real hassle when you're not able

to carry onboard your expensive equipment.

Especially I'd be worried about checking a camera to India. Not a country where the petty crime problem has really been solved yet. Unless you have some "tea money", the police won't even take a report. Something to do with poverty.

But, if you're changing planes in London (likely case), you may not have a choice.

Don't check any film, will be ruined. Either ship ahead by FedEx, or buy locally.

In past discussions, travelers have complained about equipment being destroyed in checked luggage during inspection; inspectors opening gear and damaging it while trying to close it back up. I would pack the equipment in such a way that they can see inside the camera. Provide complete visibility inside and out of all your gear. Iメd take it as carry-on, then check it if that doesnメt work. Get to the airport very early.

Before you travel, Iメd suggest finding a location to develop or replace your film in India. If you carry film, toss a few roles of the same type 35mm in with your LF film. Get it developed upon arrival to determine the condition of your film before you start shooting. Then get your film developed by a competent film house there before returning. Another trick I've used, shoot everything twice. Ship one home to your film house (check the shipper fore safey) and carry the other. This is easy for me since I already shoot everything in stereo. I look for stationary images and use a slide bar. Someone who brackets shots will have the same advantage.