Newbie Question: do you stamp "PROOF" on 4X6 proofs?

andre j.

NO I do place a damn near impossible to remove sticker on the back of each one that has the roll number the frame number and my Logo on the back with a line says "Please do not copy this photo is copyrighted" Have no idea if it works but it makes sure I know how to find the neg in my files or computer

No - I don't and I don't think many people do anymore. I put a label on the back of each proof with my copyright, phone number, set and negative number. I've had labs call me to let me know someone tried to make copies of my proofs and they were turned away. <p>I think some digital photographers put watermarks on the images on CD's.

I have noticed in my travels to wedding photographer websites that some offer an Image

Box filled with 4X6 prints as a final delivery component, and price it accordingly (higher)

while others supply proof books (typically spiral bound) as a menu from which selections

for the final album and/or enlargements.

Still others send their clients to the web for this process, something which I personally

would dread, (even tho I browse the web extensively), as I find it a laborious, time-

consuming way to select final choices. I mean compare that to a stack of 4X6 prints that

you can sort and handle and pass around.

I guess the real issue is this: if you're giving the client 4X6s of all your shots as a menu

from which selections for the final album and/or enlargements are to be made, is it good

business sense to stamp PROOF (or digitally embed it if you're going that route) in order to

prevent them from scanning and enlarging and duplicationg OR is it a slap in the face, that

says, "I don't trust you."

If you stamp over them than it might be difficult to judge if something is a good image.

There are binders that you can buy which allow you to "lock" the proofs in place so that

they can't be removed from the sleeves without destroying the folder. Which is much

better than having people handle 4x6 photos individually. How do you know you'll get

them all back if they are loose? A binder with order forms next to the images would be

the best alternative, if your customers are using the proofs only to order from. Then all of

the images are returned to you in their original order and all of the ordering information is

easily at hand.

What kind of stickers are nearly impossible to remove? Can anyone give me a website or

resource to order from?

If you offer your customers a album package, and the customer pays for the album -- then consider selling the 4x6-proofs to whoever wants photos of the wedding. If you stamp the proofs, no one can use them for anything....

[best to learn now, do not leave the 'proofs' with the bride-and-groom. Take the proofs with your after they look through your work. If they cannot decide, plan on a return visit. If you leave the proofs, you are risking

(1. a scanner on their home computer,

(2. Outright loss of your proofs,

(3. a friend working at Wal-mart or other store with a scanner that will do a favor.]

Good luck!

'Proofs' are part of my service, no matter what I am photographing. I put my copyright on the back, as I do all of my prints, and hand them over to the customer. They are then theirs to keep. I have always hated it when you pay to have photographs taken and then have to pay extra to keep the photos, so when I began I made a rule for myself that I would never put my customers in that position. Hope this helps.

You may find it easier to charge for your time and materials and hand everything including negs over to the bride and groom for them to do as they wish then you don't have to worry about the whole re-order loss of sales thing. That does not mean that you can't sell albums and larger prints if you want. Some couples don't want the hassle of copying prints or arranging and finding a place to get enlargements made so with couples that want to pay you can sell them a filled album with X no. of 8x10s for X amount of money. You charge accordingly for the filled album so your time is covered and you make money on the prints and album. You can even sell them an empty album and let them fill it themselves if they want. If you are going to sell filled album hang onto the negs until it is finished so they don't get lost or damaged. By breaking the whole thing down into seperate pieces you would at least get paid for everything that you do. When don't charge for your time and hope to recover cost by selling prints and albums the problems of customers copying images will be a far greater problem.

My proofs are printed 12 to an A4 page on matt paper with a file number under each one. I print them myself on my colour laser printer, it is impossible to scan a decent print of a laser printed image due to the dots. I say they can keep the proofs and bulid this in as a positive thing. I also include FREE(!!!!) a DVD Slideshow of all their proofs. They cannot copy from this and the impact of first seeing their photos with music etc, generates high emotive sales of reprints.

Even though my clients dont get 6x4's they have never complained and I am always up front about how my proofs are presented. Everyone is just so glad to see their piccies they dont notice the 'uncopy-able' aspect of the proofs. I consequently have good after sales records.

Hope this helps!

Nicola

Everytime I see a question like that, I ask myself, "if I were the groom or bride, what would I want?".

Now then , I do some math, and see if I can give myself what I would want.

That usually answers the question, and so my proofs are finish quality photos, nothing less leaves my shop.

Patrick