Reala 100 is not a pro film, But do you process at a pro lab?

I ask because when I originally found out that Reala was a consumer

film, I was surprised. When I shoot Reala, I have it developed at a

pro-lab.

It's costing around 3X's as much to develop a roll as it costs to

purchase one. I know, not cost effective.I know the developing cost

isn't cheap, but I don't feel comfortable dropping it off at the

local Wal-Mart.

Don't get me wrong, Wal-Mart has done a suprisingly good job on all

my prints. I think they just happen to have a good staff. But my

main concern is consistency. I feel pretty confident in the staff at

the pro lab, but I know that Wal-Mart would be more prone to

turnover than the lab.

Where do you guys get your Reala developed and how do you feel about

this?

I tried dropping off a couple of rolls of Reala at a local Walmart a couple of years ago because I needed them back in a hurry, so I didn't have time to ship them off to the lab I normally use. Walmart wouldn't accept the film because they don't accept "pro film" for processing, and they didn't want to be responsible if something went wrong.

How strange. (the Wal Mart experience) I know the people at one Wal mart in the area (it is the ONLY Wal Mart I would veer take film to) When In a hurry I have taken them 400UC, 400VC, 160NC ,Agfa portrait 160, Optima II 400, Reala, and xp2 with no problems.

As for your Wal Mart, examine the negs they have processed VERY closely, and if they haen't been damaging them yet, it might be worth taking them a roll.

Doesn't the pro lab use the same equipment as the local Wal-Mart. I know I'm paying for consistency and the care of my negatives, but they don't do anything different from the Wal-Mart do they? I mean they process it on the machine, they're not doing them by hand.

In any event, I think I'll keep using the pro lab. I'm happy with them, but I need to explore a couple more, just to know that I've got options. I went to this lab first, I was happy, so I haven't tried another lab but I don't have anyone else to compare them to.

>.Doesn't the pro lab use the same equipment as the local Wal-Mart<<

No. THere are different processors and a *good* PRO lab will have excellent materials, consistency and quality control. You pay more also because they can accomodate special requests such as under/over exposed rolls, etc... PRO labs are used to dealing with pro photogs who deliver product to magazines, art-directods, etc... so they have an entirely different workflow and scheduling of replenishing, cleaning, etc... compared to a Wal Mart. If Wal Mart screws up the negs (either by using old baths or scratching them) they don't give a damn since for them, one customer is nothing. A PRO lab can't afford mistakes or problems and good one will not make any.

I haven't been using reala, but I don't see why it should matter whether the film is techincally pro or consumer. The one important distinction at least in my area is that the local pro lab does its slides on premises, whereas the others send them out. So if you get someone who does it well, it will likely be done well each time. Also, they won't lose the film.

Certainly, Fujicolor Reala is not considered a "Professional" film but it happens to be, in my opinion, the best 100 ISO speed negative film available.

The only difference on using a "Professional" lab instead of a "Consumer" one is, as others have already pointed out, the higher level of quality and consistency they offer.

Now, I have sent rolls of 35mm Fujicolor Superia Reala to Wal-Mart "Second Day" lab requesting a Photo CD with my order, and so far the quality has been very good, great prints and great scans in the Photo CD, I highly recommend this as a cheap option.

Not sure why the knocks on Wal-Mart. Here, the Wal-mart Fuji Frontier is set exactly as the factory says it should be, with all the chemicals replenished a little bit at a time -- a certain number of ounces per feet of film. I've never gotten a bad negative from them, nor any scratches. The only finger prints are on the leading and trailing blank frames. The prints are normal, everyday Frontier prints, but that's only a side-effect of processing the film. Granted, you can't get push or pull processing -- but that's not all that big a deal. This is a big step up from the Auld Daize, when c-41 film went to Denver and came back cloudy.

I've used Wal-Marts in Rock Srings, Steamboat Springs, and Ft. Collins, too. Never a problem.

Walter Hawn -- Casper, Wyoming

One thing to remember when a new minilab printer and negline is installed it is set up be a technition who knows what they are doing. The same person may well have set up all the fuji machines in a particular area. The machines are selfreplenishing they have an automatic replenishment system they do not rely on someone counting how many films have been developed and remembering to add some more replensiher. The operator only has to mix fresh replenisher when the replenshiment tank is empty and the machine will emit load anoying beeping sounds to remind the operator to do this. The printer processor uses a similar system. All machines need basic maintance and servicing and maybe a prolab is better whan it comes to this maybe some are worse. A prolab may have a better choice of materials and will be used to dealing with the special demands from proffesionals. There are good and bad labs every where and you need to choose a lab based upon the results and service you get not on ideas that only pro labs use fresh chemicals and every where else is developing in old tanks.

I've used a couple of WalMart labs, all with Fuji Frontier equipment, in Orlando & Atlanta. One was great, the others were terrible.

It depends on WHO they have working the machine. The great lab had an art student working who did a lot of photography. The others didn't know the difference between Tri-X and Ektachrome.

The tests I use is to take them a roll of C41 and have it developed & printed. Tell them that you do not want the negatives cut. If they negs come back cut, find another lab. If the negs are uncut look at them for density, scratches, and finger prints. Then look at the prints.

Ask them how often they run a control strip. If they don't know what a control strip is, find another lab.

Lastly, have them print a B&W negative. I give them a C41 B&W and an HP-5. If they can't get a good print find another lab.