Paparazzi - the movie

Watched this relatively new DVD last night, called Paparazzi. Second-

rate straight-to-video, it features some interesting cameo

appearences by Chris Rock and someone else. Anyhow, the movie is a

complete dud. But what prompted by post was the underlying message:

photography is evil. Four paparazzis shot a few pics of a movie

star's son and the movie start kills 3 of them and puts the last one

in jail. For a few pics of his boy playing soccer in a public place.

Justified and glorified murder. Even the cops know he's done it but

they feel for him. The photographers, on the other hand, deserve no

mercy in the movie. A quote from a dialogue in the

movie: "...everytime someone takes your picture, they take part of

your soul..."

I find the whole concept rather disturbing.

At least we're not depicted as crazed maniacs bent on world domination or destruction (like scientists), drug dealers, pimps, and gang bangers (like black men), and sociopathic serial killers (like cross dressers). [i apologize for omitting so many negative stereotypes--it would take too long to make a comprehensive list.]

Problem is that some minimum wage dude, without even a HS diploma, in Podunk, Iowa will actually believe that killing the snapper(s) IS the appropriate response to street work.

For another view see this article:

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050417/ap_on_go_ot/in_the_lens_1

Surveillance Cameras More Common Everyday

By SIOBHAN McDONOUGH, Associated Press WriterSun Apr 17,12:39 PM ET

"It's there when you ride an elevator and make a purchase in a store. There's no escaping it in a museum. Look up at the stoplight and a camera may be watching you.

Being lens-shy just doesn't cut it in today's camera-crazed world. Chances are, during a good part of your day, there's a camera nudging into your private space...." (read balance of art on-line)

Hunter

<p><a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133314/">Paparazzi</a> : this one a good french movie</br></p>

<p>Nice movie about a chance collision between a hard core paparazzi and a regular guy. It is a pretty humoristic plunge into the world of trash press and ruthless assholes with white lenses. I liked it a lot. Don't expect a deep work of art, but I believe it makes for good entertainment - I had good fun watching it. I don't know if it has been translated into english, but if you are in France you will find it in most video rental shops.</p>

Hi all.

I don't make a living out of it, and that puts a stain on my comment. But don't forget that this world, with a very little ethics left, can make of any job a crime (ruthless doctors, filthy engineers.. you name it). Now, the movie is obviously an exageration, but I think that many paparazzis have lost much of respect for other people's privacy.

In my humble amateur activity, when I shoot a portrait too close for confort, I always ask permission. I know you can't always do that, but please... there is a way for everything.

I have always wondered why celebrities (movie stars, politicians etc) deserve any privacy. Most of them did everything in their power to get in front of a lens when they were not famous and, all of a sudden, when they became famous, they discovered that they wanted their privacy. I have no sympathy for them whatsoever and say good luck to the paparazzi that try and shoot them. The French government trying to blame the paparazzi for Princess Di's death was a joke. How about blaming a drunk and doped up chauffeur and maybe wear a seatbelt sometime.

Tim Holte Photo.net Patron, apr 19, 2005; 06:36 a.m. said: I have always wondered why celebrities (movie stars, politicians etc) deserve any privacy. Most of them did everything in their power to get in front of a lens when they were not famous and, all of a sudden, when they became famous, they discovered that they wanted their privacy....

It's NOT privacy they crave it's getting paid for the priviledge of taking their picture... as soon as some manager or lawyer convinces them they have such a thing as "image rights" and therefore that their likeness is worth something. "Rights" that don't really exist widely in law, or can't exist even in a lawyer's wet dream, in many countries.

I have no sympathy for them whatsoever, either.

Hunter

• 1 month later...