Contax is discontinued

jack_carlton

Too bad, but I don't think all Contax MF cameras will change into pumpkins at the stroke of midnight--same with Bronicas and any other recently discontinued cameras.

FWIW I have no problem getting my c. 1958 Rolleiflex serviced and I just had a CLA and 120 conversion done on my 1948 Kodak Medalist II. There isn't likely to be much problem servicing Contaxes, Bronicas, Hasselblads (if they too go) Etc for MANY years to come and good used cameras and lenses will continue to be available.

It's odd that folks that have never owned a Contax make most of the posts about the demise of Kyocera-Contax. What is the fascination?

My Zeiss Ikon folder still works well (circa 1940) and my Contax IIIa is wonderful. But I opted for a Mamiya 645 Pro TL for my MF SLR. They're dirt cheap now.

Robert

"There isn't likely to be much problem servicing Contaxes, Bronicas, Hasselblads (if they too go) Etc for MANY years to come"

You're comparing apples to oranges. 1948 cameras didn't have electronically controlled shutters and internal metering systems. Once the electronic components of modern cameras are no longer available, they will be impossible to service.

Can't remember where I saw this suggested (Amateur Photographer?), but I've seen an

article which suggested that Zeiss - who make the lenses that Contax use, I believe - are

possibly going to take production back in house. Zeiss Ikon are making a return to the

35mm market with a new M-mount rangefinder and the company was famous for its

medium format folders. It's possible that they may roll out a medium format camera that

takes "Contax" lenses in the future. It would be in their interest to provide a body for the

lenses they produce, even if they only produce the bodies in batches, the way I've heard

Rollei produce the Rolleiflex.

I guess it's also possible that Voigtlander - who keep on producing new bodies for all

those old M- and L-mount lenses, as well as making their own - could conceivably take a

chance at the medium format market with a cheapish body for Zeiss's medium format

lenses. Voigtlander seems very good at spotting market opportunities in market segments

that seem to be either obsolete or monopolies.

I agree with Peter. Today's camera, like Contax 645 are far more complex than mechanical oldies : many things could go wrong.

Parts will be available for some time but in too many cases there is a weak spot on models and they stop working with the same malfunction (s), making them useless if not replacable.

The 645 is nice but there where not 10 models made over 25 years like the 35mm YC mount. I think it is where the bad news hurt most : Contax 645 is dying...

Please, lets not get too "weepy" over this. Their 645AF was a "turd". IMHO ,it was way over priced, and weighed slightly less than a rhinoceros.

The folks I knew that bought into this system early on. All dumped these, after electronic glitches sidelined them. In all fairness, these cameras were used in damp and cold outdoor conditions.

For wedding work their uselfullness is questionable too(slow/heavy). They were really only a excellant studio camera. And who the hell needs auto focus in the studio?

<i>It's odd that folks that have never owned a Contax make most of the posts about the demise of Kyocera-Contax. What is the fascination? </i>

How do you know if they have owned a Contax? I myself have several Contax bodies in 35mm, as well as a 645 available at work.

"You're comparing apples to oranges. 1948 cameras didn't have electronically controlled shutters and internal metering systems. Once the electronic components of modern cameras are no longer available, they will be impossible to service."

Good point--I forgot about that--I guess they (sort of) WILL turn into pumpkins at the stroke of midnight.

I'm very happy that I prefer mechanical cameras.

Picking up on an earlier posting....

C645 too expensive? Try the Hasselblad H1 if you want expensive.

Too heavy? Again try the H1 .

Early owners have disposed of theirs? I've had mine over 6 years.

Living on the "wet coast" of Canada, it has seen much humidity and also cold temps. I didn't "need" a C645, I "wanted" one. Since owning it, it has become a "need". I use it for weddings and on my personal motorcycling/backpacking trips. Everytime I pick it up,use it and project those Velvia MF slides, I know why I bought it!

It will be sad to witness the demise of the camera, but I'm hopeful that someone, (not Sony for our sake)will pick up production.

The only real problem with the C645 may be that digital back vendors will stop developing new products for that platform. The general-purpose backs like the Imacon 132C that use adapters will probably continue to work.

With all the disparagement of the C645, I wish I could own one, but it makes little sense now to invest in a dedicated C645 digital back for a discontinued platform.

I purchased a Contax 645 a few years ago. I worked with it for about a year and never was quite able to bond. Everyones first impression was positive, but as time elapsed many of the original buyers moved on to other cameras.

I subsequently purchased a Hasselblad H1 and find the camera to be light years ahead of the Contax. The autofocus is excellent as far as accuracy and speed is concerned. The lenses are first rate and IMO have better contrast, color rendition, and are sharper. The H1 is much more ergonomic and just melts into your hand. (Kind of like a chocolate M&M without the mess ;-))

Should Zeiss pickup the Contax 645 and improve it, that would be good. If it dies a distinguished death then so be it.

Quote:

"Consequently, Kyocera will terminate the shipment of CONTAX-branded cameras, and the exclusive lenses and accessories in September, 2005, <b>except for the CONTAX 645 camera system, the shipment of which to some markets will come to an end in December, 2005.</b>"<br><br>

I really don't get this. Does it mean that they withdraw the 645 only from some markets? In Germany they didn't list the camera on the<br> kyocera.de-homepage, and Zeiss is pointing to the US/UK-Sites. That's bad marketing.<br><br>

It seems that Kyocera doesn't (or couldn't) estimate a market for the 645 in the next years. I predict a revival of MF (at least 645/6x6)<br>

when backs with 645/6x6 size sensors are available. The 35mm DSLRs will hit a resolution wall. If you use the same structure density on a<br>

bigger sensor you will get a MP advantage. The sole problem is the price (yet). This seems logical, if you consider Hasselblad/Fuji's <br>move to the 645 system. Hasselblad, beacause a fullformat 645 back

will be available earlier than 6x6. And Fuji discontinued their 680 and 617, <br>because a 6x8 sensor would probably be never affordable (lower quantity than 645/6x6)?<br><br>

Best regards, Markus