G6 too much like my wife's S60?

I initially bought the 20D but thought it was too much camera for me

so I returned it and ordered a Canon G6 for its compact size and SLR

type features. However, my wife has a Canon S60 and after reviewing

the instruction manual on the G6, I don't see too many differences

between the two (aside from the MP difference).

Are these cameras too much alike? If so maybe I should've stuck with

the 20D or at the very least purchased a less expensive (like the SLR

Nikon D70 or Digital Rebel) so that we don't have two cameras that do

the same thing.

Any feedback or opinions are appreciated!

Umm... what is it that you want? Do you want to take pictures? What kind of? Do you want to have a camera that's noticeably different from your wife's? When you say "too much camera for me" do you mean it's too complicated?

<< so that we don't have two cameras that do the same thing. >>

Last time I checked all cameras do the same thing...

I know lots of people that own two similar (or even the same!) digital cameras. I fail to see a problem with it. A camera can't be used by two different people at the same time.

<< I don't see too many differences between the two >>

28/100mm vs 35/140mm (equiv), f/2-3 vs f/2-5.3, hotshoe flash, flip-out LCD, are not insignificant differences in my opinion.

<< If so maybe I should've stuck with the 20D or at the very least purchased a less expensive (like the SLR Nikon D70 or Digital Rebel) >>

Were you not just saying that the 20D was too large or too obtrusive or called too much attention to you when you were using it?

I want to take shots of the family and also some artistic nature and maybe some city shots on the way to work. Just thought that the 20D at $2000 with lens was too expensive a camera for a beginner. Kind of like a first time guitar player buying a top of the line Les Paul to play "mary had a little lamb" on.

<< Kind of like a first time guitar player buying a top of the line Les Paul to play "mary had a little lamb" on. >>

There is no rule that says choosing the right tool for the job is somehow wrong just because you don't think the job is important.

Yes, an S60 is pretty similar to a G series, certainly more similar than a 20D. I'd certainly hold off buying anything else until you can narrow down your interests or required "differences." Things like deciding what the S60 (or G6) can't do that you need done. One consideration on going with a dslr is checking compatibility of the flash systems - so a Canon 350xt or even 20D may not be as expensive or have as much difference as going with a different brand - the S60 not being as system integrated as the G series with Canon flashes.

All point and shoot cameras are "sort of similar" to one another. The DSLR is an entirely different class of camera, one that uses interchangable lenses, and which has a larger (physically) sensor than the point and shoot cameras. The larger sensor is very important because it allows higher ISO options. The 20D goes to ISO 3200, with ISO 1600 being quite useable. The P&S cameras all top out at ISO 400, and noise is unacceptable at that speed. Even ISO 200 is noisy with a p&s camera.

So, with any p&s camera you are stuck with shooting at ISO 50, with flash, or not shooting at all in dim light. With the 20D, you can slap on a fast prime lens and shoot quite comfortably in very low light (ideal for artistic shots, which you say you want to do).

My advice is go back and get the 20D.

In general, both cameras are very similar, but the main differences are: the G6 has a hotshoe so you can use external flash, the G6's lense is faster (2.0), the zoom is more powerful (4x vs 3.6) but its shorter length is bigger (35mm vs 28mm equiv.). As usual, it depends on what do you want. 20D will add a lot more features and you should decide if their are worth to you.

My advice is, buy my 10D with 28mm 2.8 and 50mm f1.8 II prime lenses, and pair of Sigma DC lenses, 18-50mm and 55-200mm. This will be more than enough to keep you busy, and totally unlike your wife's S60.

I've got the body only in the classifieds, but I'm willing to revise the price for the whole kit. Includes all original accessories, in box, also extra battery, and 512meg CF card.

Email me directly if interested.

Just keep the G6.

If you keep trying to second-guess yourself you will lose a fortune buying new cameras and then selling nearly-new cameras.

Use the G6 for two years. At the end of two years, consider buying a different camera that will accomplish whatever the G6 could not do for you.

Don't make me come over there and waggle my finger at you. I mean this. Two years. Don't buy or sell a camera for two years.

Now go learn how to use the G6. It's fine.

Be well,

What Jim said (including the finger waggling :P). You have the camera now, so go take some photos with it.

I have the G6 and use it over my 20D/1DMk2 for "serious" shooting for quite a lot of occasions (mostly city work). I also own the S70, and while the two are very similar, the G6 is a more full-featured camera. As someone already pointed out, a much faster lens, flash mounting, easier manual over-rides, ability to take filters, etc. - these are not insignificant.

If you want to take good photos quickly, the G6 will let you do that. Within its limitations, it is pretty much as good as an SLR. As you figure out its limitations, you can then get an SLR with the appropriate lenses.

Cheers,

Vandit

Johnny - for Pete's sake, stop diubting your cameras. You returned your 29d - fair enough, some poor bugger has already complained about dust in their "brand new camera". Now that you've a G6, what - you're gonna return it as well? Ask yourself if actually need a camera at all, which I doeubt. Maybe it's time for a different hobby.