Portrait Lense

greg_koni

Ditto on the 85/1.8

However, the 50/1.4 is an excellent lens and would perform quite well in that role. If you anticipate a small working environment, I might be inclined to say that the 50/1.4 would serve you better. I would first try to shoot from outside the window, or from the next room out of devotion to the 85. Small exageration, but ...

I'd say use what you have... f/2.8 seems like it should be enough and you'd have the versatility of the zoom if you don't have much room for movement.

If you really do need the wider apertures like 1.8 or 1.4, ask yourself, what for? And how much is it worth? Cheap alternative, although with your current set it doesn't seem like money is an issue, would be the 50mm f/1.8 I or II. With your 1.3x crop factor, that'd be a 65mm, great for portraiture.

"...With your 1.3x crop factor, that'd be a 65mm, great for portraiture..."

Duh! I may have displayed my ignorance on this issue in my previous post (18-55 vs 17-80), however, even I suspect that 65mm is probably not long enough for a *great* portrait lens. There's a thing called "perspective" as I've learnt the hard way today (thanks Bill!)

I'd go for at least 100mm in "real" terms (77mm on your 1.3 crop or 63 on 1.6). So there, the 80mm fits your bill well from where I stand.

Cheers

Thanks for all of your quick responses. My mistake...I meant f1.8 in my original post not f2.8. I use my 24-70 most of the time for portraits but wanted either the 50 or the 85 for low light. Can anyone shoot me the link to the site that reviews lenses and also provides sample shots?

With the 50mm the subject's nose tends to look more pronounced due to the characteristics of the focal length and subject distance if you compare the same crop to a 85mm(head shots). The 1.6 crop does help since it forces you to be get back a little farther but I think it can be noticable. From the photographer's point of view it's a nice lens, but I don't think it's as flattering to the subject.

I do use the 50 1.4 though, it's fast and nice for ambient light;use it for half body shots and short dof on eyes and such. I also use the 28-105 3.5-4.5