6x6 Back for 645AF

danperez

I am new to medium format photography and would like to know if there exists a

6x6 back available for the 645AF, or an insert that will convert it to that size?

If not, what camera should I pursue for that format?

Thanks for your responses,

-Dan

I wouldn't think so.

You can get smaller format backs for larger cameras, i.e. a 6x4.5 back for a 6x6 camera but not the other way round.

If you want 6x6, then you'll first need to examine your budget. You could go with a Rollei or Hasselblad at the high end, or something like a Bronica SQ-A/B at a more reasonable price. Check out the cost of the lenses and other accessories too before committing to one camera or another. If possible, try and handle each camera - what works for one person will not necessarily work for another.

A lens for a 645 cannot cover the 6x6 format : the diameter of the image circle covering the 6x4ᄑ format is theoretically slightly narrower than the diameter of the image circle for the 6x6 format.<br>

A 6 x 4ᄑ format negative size is actually 56 x 41.5mm, and thus the diagonal of the format is 69.7mm.<br>

The 6 x 6 format negative size (actually 56 x 56mm) is about 79.2mm.<p>

But the problem is not only here : the exposure window of a 645 camera body and of the magazines measures 56 X 41.5mm, not 56 x 56 mmm.<br>

That's the second reason for which a 645 camera cannot provide 6x6 pictures.<br>

Some 645 lenses have a larger image circle : these special lenses have tilt and/or shift possibilities, and thus they have a larger image circle to cover these movements<p>

Otherwise, you have plenty of cameras covering the 6x6 format : <br>

Bronica SQ-A and SQ-Ai, Hasselblad 500 and 200 series, Rolleiflex twin lens reflex (TLR) and single lens reflex (SLR) like the 600x series (6001, 6003,006 and 6008) and the SL66 series (SL66 classic, SL66-E and SL66-SE), Mamiya TLR C330 and C220, and many others.<p>

Several cameras with a larger format (like the Mamiya RB67 or RZ67, in 6x7 format) can be used with a 6x6 magazine, if you find one.<br>

But if you need 6x6 format, the choice is rather important. And a 6x4ᄑ magazine can be mounted on 6x6 cameras.<br>

Jean-Louis Llech wrote:

"A lens for a 645 cannot cover the 6x6 format"

Not true.

As I wrote, the M645 TELEPHOTOS can cover 6x6 acceptably. Lots of the Mamiya 645 MANUAL telephotos have been remounted in Hasselblad mount for the 2000 and 200 series cameras. Normals and wide angles lenses won't cover properly.

My 300mm f/4 Pentacon was sold for 35mm cameras yet it covers 6x6 nicely. I had it mounted up in Hassleblad 2000 mount. I also had a Soligor 135mm f/2.8 pre-set lens for 35mm remounted for HAsselblad it it too coverede the 6x6 film frame.

Thanks for all your input. The answer was so simple that I overlooked it. I just wasn't paying much attention I guess, but it does make perfect sense that a 6x6 can be brought down to a 645 format, but not the other way around. I guess I will be in the market for a 6x6 very soon. I like what I've read so far about the Hasselblad's and maybe I can find one used that will fit my budget and intent.

I am not so much interested in automation as I am sharpness. My Mamiya w/ the standard 80mm 2.8 is relatively sharp, although I know there are other camera/lens combinations which are sharper.

Again, I appreciate all the expertise.

-Daniel

Jean-Louis,<br><br>The simple truth is that some do, some don't.<br>So yes, Anthony's "Not true" to your "A lens for a 645 cannot cover the 6x6 format" is 100% correct, the logic of it is quite clear.<br><br>And we need only one instance, of a lens that does, to disprove your statement. And we indeed had that instance already in what Anthony reported some hours before your post.