Hood quest 2

jason_b.

I posted earlier about a hood. I should have been clearer. I'm actually looking for a hood

for my 50/2 nikkor. The outside diameter of the front of the lens is identical to that of the

50/2.8 sm. However, it doesn't have the tuck in for a clip on hood to attach to. So, I need a

hood that will slip on over the outside of the lens and then tighten with a little screw thing.

Any ideas?

Well, when I had your same problem several years ago I obtained an otherwise useless filter and knocked the glass out of it, screwed it into the lens bezel leaving a gap just wide enough to accept the clips of the #12585 hood. A couple of very small drops of super glue secured the filter ring in place leaving just the gap needed to accept the hood. The filter ring had a stacking thread so it would take other filters as needed. The arrangement has worked so well that several acquaintences have use it.

Each to his own taste, but I just don't like screw-in hoods if there is a practical alternative. Screw-in hoods are an invitation to damage of the lens bezel if they sustain any impact. The clip-on hoods (as well as slip -on and clamp-ons have a breakaway factor that protects the lens. If there is damage to the bezel it is difficult to restore the filter threads even though a certain amount of roundness can be restored, but it always looks like hell.

I think the last hood Nikon supplied was the clip on hood back when they had chrome catch-on-everything buttons instead of black plastic ones. Either get a 40.5mm hood from Cameraquest or look for a used series VI adapter and hood. They (Tiffen and others) did make vented series VI hoods but they're rare. A drill, a file, and a bit of flat black paint and you can vent your own.

Harry, I've had a few mishaps w/screw-in hoods & FWIW, & the hoods have always "taken the bullet" for the lenses so that there was no damage to the lens bezels or filter threads. IME, most snap-on, clip-on, & clamp-on hoods just don't stay securely on my lenses. This includes the 12585 for the DR Summicron & the various Canon clamp-ons for their RF lenses. The only exceptions have been the snap-on 12544 for my 3rd version (c.1988) Noctilux & the twist-lock 12589 for the 35/1.4 Summilux ASPH.

Jason, if you don't find anything, email me. <p>

I have an aluminium hood, which slips over my contax lenses and fastens

with a screw. it's quite heavy, and I don't use it much, so could be talked into

swapping for a screw-in hood. paul at trynka dot com<p>

Obviously I don't suppose this happens all the time, but it happens often enough to be considered. I accept the notion that my advocay of rectangular hoods may bias my views somewhat, but while the connection between a screw-in hood and the lens bezel is reasonably positive, it also often occurs a blow to the hood is transmitted eccentrically enough to wrench the hood from the bezel with the resultant damage to the threads. For several years I was associated with a used camera shop situated near a community college. We kept on hand a large stock of modest priced SLR kits (equipped with a set of filters and a hood) which were sold to the students at begining of the photography course and often re-purchased at its end, then re-sold to the next class, and so ad infinitum. In the great majority of cases the cameras came back with damaged bezels, obvously for the above reason. This happened so often that several of the sales force equipped themselves with a Victor Bezel Straightener and if the threads would accept a filter the lens was sold again. Finally our repairman obtained from some source some clamp rings to which he fastened the hoods which we supplied with the cameras. The results were almost immediately positive in that the incidents of bezel damage were significantly reduced. In most instances the hoods were circular so we weren't confronted with the alignment issue, but the ability of the lenses to accept filters was improved. Statistically this proves very little, but it is indicative of a situation that can be improved with a bit of consideration for cause and effect as opposed to rigid adherence to dogmatic concepts.