Balda Super Baldina with Radionar f/2.9 50mm triplet lens

The Super Baldina is a lovely 1950s rangefinder with a lens housing

that pops forward at the press of a button. Mine has the lesser

triplet lens, a Schneider Kreuznach Radionar f/2.9 50mm. (Why did

they make 2.9 apertures lenses, such as this and the Meritar? Why

also the 2.7s that showed up in the 70s on some Japanese point &

shoots? Why not stick with 2.8?)

The results, shooting with generic 200asa print film, were't bad

when stopped down, even if the selection of subjects was uninspired.<div>00BuyT-22987084.jpg.8d233251050d4d8fa147963adc9578f8.jpg</div>

I'll end on a "what was I thinking?" shot. I'm used to shooting with an SLR at 1.8 and 1/500, with the wide open aperture making it possible to isolate one little thing, such as a magnolia bud. Of course, with a triplet that only stops down to 2.9, the result is not a focused shot that isolates a magnolia bud, but "Huh?" or as Homer would say, "D'Oh!".<div>00BuzQ-22988384.jpg.bf5a76b13e59a35c09bd8a47005a0af3.jpg</div>

I have a 13.5 cm Radionar on my ca. 1935 plate camera (though it's f/4.5 instead of f/2.9). I've also got an f/2.9 Baltar on my Jubilette -- it's not half bad if there's enough light to stop down a bit (I doubt it's very different from a Radionar in the same focal length and speed).

I think they put f/2.9 on those because they couldn't quite get the lens to even vaguely acceptable performance at f/2.8, but hoped consumers wouldn't notice (and you can use it as f/2.8 for all ordinary purposes, if you can stand the lens's performance at that opening -- my larger Radionar is only so-so even at f/5.6, though by f/11 it looks pretty decent). And f/2.7 is similarly a marketing gimmick, like "our lens is *faster* (than the f/2.8 on the competition's similar camera)!" The same thing goes for f/1.7 and f/1.5 lenses, of course -- a little better than f/1.8, or almost f/1.4.

Recommendation for triplets: carry a tripod and cable release, stop down at least to f/8 and preferably f/11 or smaller, and accept the longer exposures. If you were after Cartier-Bresson type subjects, you'd be carrying a different camera (assuming you could afford one -- at the very least, an inexpensive SLR with a fast 6- or 7-element prime).

• 3 years later...