brunom

I been watching this auction [7504375072] for some days. Are bidders

hypnotised by the process? You can buy these 60/100-250 hoods from

your local dealers for around GBP 30/GB P35 in nearly mint condition

and there are many advertised, yet this one has just gone for GBP

52 ! Have you ever done this?

Regards

Bruno

Have I ever bid more for a used item on eBay than the current price for a new one from a reputable dealer? No, never. I always check the B&H price for photographic items that appeal and that might be current. On music CDs, I check what vendors who sell via amazon.com are asking. And so on.

Have I ever bid more for a used item on eBay than the current price for a similar used item from a reputable dealer? No, never. I always check KEH's offerings. And so on.

But then, I'm a bottom feeder and, appearances notwithstanding, may have more brains than money.

It has been suggested that the act of placing a bid on an item makes the item, at least for some people, territory to be defended vigorously. I'm not crazy in that way. I gather you also aren't.

Cheers,

Dan

Yes, it's a great place to sell stuff, not so great to buy. Some times I get paranoid and think that professional *-bay'ers are bidding up the price on the items I do bid on. I'm suspicious of bidders that only buy and never sell. But, a lot of people get sucked into thinking they have to win when they are bidding. I think any auction is the same: you have to take note of who you are bidding against, some people will pay anything just to win.

I like the territory analogy...

An item on Ebay needs to be cheaper than KEH to make it worth while IMO. I just won an auction for 2 Mamiya 645 lenses. A 55mm 2.8 C and a 150mm 3.5 C. My winning bid? $182. Both lenses are in excellent condition and both came fitted with Tiffen UV filters. Tell me I'm not diggin' that. :0

E Bay sucks !!! For buyers at least, great if you are a seller. I too have been amazed at the cray prices people pay for camera stuff and expired film. Always check BH, Adorama, KEH, Midwest Camera Exchange, etc. Also, I suspect that the career sellers regularly employ shill bidders to drive up the prices. A great scheme - create a dedicated shill alias (or form shill pacts with your fellow pro sellers), and "go fishing." Eventually, some niave bidder will get caught in the lure.

However, sometimes you can find a genuine seller offerinh his or her gear for a reasonable price, but it is a rare event.

I'm generally satisfied with my purchases from eBay. I got burnt couple time (there's lots of rate inflation when it comes to used equipment) but I also got some great deals (C330 with 55/80/180Super for $500 bucks, everything MINT-, I sold the C330 with the 80 and kept the 55 and 180 Super pretty much for free).

I am not saying that everything is steal on eBay but there are some good deals if you look. And some dangers too, no matter how careful you are.

Ebay is now so big that for most things there is an idiot somewhere who will pay 20% more than the new price from a reputable store with low postage and a guarantee vs high postage, poor feedback and no comeback. It's a mad world. Saying that, occasionally you can pick up a bargain and I've traded with some very nice people, so not all bad.

I never bid above the assumed value of an item, but I've still been burned. I've purchased "mint" lenses that were coated in fungus or badly separated. Theat's why I now just buy lense caps and minor item from e**y. Most other items I buy from KEH.

As for selling - I sold a used flash on e**y for $20 less than a new gray market flash. So, yes, buyers do get caught up in the idea of winning. And I didn't need any shill bidder to get the high price!

Robert

Depends on the deal. I just bought on Ebay a new Nikon D70 kit, with full US warranty and authorized $200 rebate from a brick and mortar camera shop in NYC. It went for $200 less than B&H whose shop is down the street from them. I paid with cc, and the camera was to me in three days. Seems that Ebay is giving legitimate businesses the opportunity to price aggressively. Good for us. But I have also bought equipment from individuals - a pristine three lens Contax G2 kit for half of retail, new Rollei 6008i film back for 40% of retail, and a 150mm Zeiss for my Rollei, at half what KEH wanted. No disappointments. Did get a used Hassy that had serious light leaks. While I had bought the sastisfaction guaranty, I did not have to use it. The seller willingly took the camera back. There are exceptional deals. Just be careful and do not be stupid.

Ebay is a clever marketer. They beat the drums to build excitement, all about "winning" (and keeping score). The technique is like the home shopping channels -- "only 100 left and going fast..." You have to know a reasonable price and hold your ground. I've bid on a few high-end items, only to be aced in the last few seconds by another bidder. Bidders in Australia must have a good resale market - they pay 20% over market price without blinking. Maybe it's to avoid customs.

I've come to list ebay.com as a "spammer" to keep my mailbox clear. I'll still peek from time to time, but on my terms.

It can become a bad habit. I've both bought and sold (toys that I couldn't afford when they were new and I was younger). I usually follow a category for several weeks before bidding on anything and don't go much over $20. I fix the minor problems like corroded contacts and rotten light seals and put a roll of film through to see if it is working OK and then put it back on Ebay starting at $0.99. You win some and lose some but get to play with some interesting cameras. The only keepers so far are an Agfa Solinette, an Ansco Speedex (my only MF camera), an Olympus 35 DC (which needs serious work), an olive green Werra, and a Yashica Electro GSN (great low light camera). I'm trying to kick the habit and get out and take more pictures.

Here's what I do. When I see an item that interests me, I check the completed items archive to see if that particular item has been listed before, and to get a sense of the auction market. Then I check KEH, Henry's or some other big retailers to get a sense of their market. If I am satisfied that the seller is legit, I follow the bidding and develop a sense of what I am willing to pay. And then I snipe. I put in one bid immediately before the end of the auction. It is my best and final bid (Edward, I swear it wasn't me who iced you). It is the most I am willing to pay. If I get it, fine. If not, I am satisified that the person who did either paid too much or just wanted it more than I did. No regrets. Best story I ever heard was from a buddy of mine who trades in antique playing cards. Seems this one fellow always beat him, no matter how much he bid. He discovered that the other guy would bid just outrageous amounts, like $1000 for a $40 item. In this way, he was guaranteed to get the item, and, of course by just the next bid increment. So my buddy bid, at the end of an auction $900 for a $20 item. And his nemesis won the bid, but this time, at the next increment over $900. Ouch.

My best get on Ebay - 2001 Audi S4, pristine with 16k miles. Got it for around $8k less than dealer price. Bottom line with Ebay, as in life, smarts and restraint. Set your upper limit. If it goes beyond, walk away. Or perhaps you will drive away....fast.

Lots of good stuff. I think there's a PhD thesis just clamouring to be written about how competition drives men mad! (Perhaps it does the same for women - Ebay might show the gender of buyers). You would not have to write to everybody for your data - just sign on.

I speak from buying experience! But surely we must admit that, with all its faults, if it went under, we would want to re-invent it.

Happy bidding.

(PS No Ebay relatives, or even friends).

www.bidnip.com has been my salvation from eBay-itis. When I see an item that I want, I put the maximum I'm willing to bid into bidnip, and then I ignore the auction. If I "win" (a loaded term if ever there was one), I get an email notification and I complete the transaction. If I "lose" (see above), then someone wanted it more than I did. No more sweaty hands waiting for the seconds to tick down...no more getting caught up in the "excitement". I've gotten some amazing deals this way (Yashica-D in like-new-minus condition for $50, an excellent Calumet C1 8x10 for under $300, and a few more)...all without buying into the whole territorial marketing that makes eBay such a money pit.

I `ve been shooting digital for a couple of years now but never miss my daily dose of the MF digest (perhaps it`s trying to hang on to old values in general) Anyway, yesterday a Bronica etrsi in mint condition was gradually getting near it`s finish time. It was listed as absolutely mint having had a few films through, complete with AE11 prism, standard lens,speed winder and Cromatech multi hood + 10 rolls of velvia for ?425. I just couldn`t resist putting in my bid in the last minute when no one else did. I won the camera and the seller has said that he will throw in some 62mm filters as well. If it is in the condition as stated then I consider it a good buy( I particularly fancy the mirror up function of this model.) I had an early etrs many years ago and the mirror slap was a problem. So there you have it, perhaps now I can grow old in peace being able to handle a real camera from time to time.I still have my excellent Minolta 1Vf light meter. Q. I don`t have a film scanner anymore and couldn`t justify running to a Nikon 8000 or similar. I have a 4870 Epson but to be honest(maybe because of film flatness)I can`t say that it has ever wowed me. I read about the new dedicated epson scanner but again that doesn`t seem to be the answer. So what would be an acceptable MF scanner at an affordable price please. Q. How do people find the AE11 metering and are there any other things I need to consider.

E bay good or not? I`ll let you know.

David-

Check out http://home.earthlink.net/%7Edougfisher/holder/mfholder.html

I got one of these for my Epson 3200, and the improvement in scanning for 120 film is pretty amazing. If you get the holder and the anti-newton glass, you'll get MF scans from an Epson flat-bed that are as good as you can get without a dedicated scanner or drum scanner. Check out http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson%204870/DF_holder/MF.htm for an excellent review that shows the difference this holder can make. (I'm not associated with Doug...I'm just a very satisfied customer.)