PICASA (google)...like it? Negatives?

<< Biggest downside I found is that you can't keep any existing directory/folder structure. As I recall it reorganizes everything by date or subject. >>

Picasa doesn't reorganize any folders or any images. In fact, if you use it to change any image (resize, saturation, rotate, etc) it creates a copy of the image before applying any of the changes. It is very hands-off.

However, the interface of Picasa does not take into account sub-directories. It will read them and show you the contents, but there is no sense of a "tree" within Picasa. Everything is presented on the same level.

I use Picasa as a way to quickly scroll through all my image directories. I don't use it to import or modify my images, and I don't use any of the integration with hello.com or gmail.com. As simply a thumbnail viewer its quite good. The modifications/adjustments you can make to images are on the basic side but this isn't supposed to be a Photoshop replacement.

It's fantastic for people who just take holiday/family/etc snaps and organises them in a nice way and making it relatively painles to create CDs and web pages with them. Perfect for my sister! :)

But as a more advanced imaging tool, it's not so great and you are probably better off buying a more profesional product.

Seems like it does what it is supposed to do, and it integrates with Hello for blogs quite nicely. Only problem is that it only indexes 8-bit Photoshop (.psd) files, and almost all my Photoshop format files are 16-bit. I installed it and wondered what happened to all my .psd files!

I'm thinking about buying IMatch. I installed the demo and it looked pretty nice, and it supports 16-bit .psd files. Its not free ($59.95), but then you usually get what you pay for. I may keep Picassa for the photoblog stuff, since it does index jpegs.

I'll throw in a good review for iMatch. I've used it for about a year now, and haven't ever had any qualms. Right now I've got a pretty small database (~5,000 images), but it'll get bigger once my new (used) 10d gets to me and I start shooting digital along with film.

(Apologies for going off topic :-)

- Ryan

Picasa is also a very nice little slideshow browser, good for quick displays of JPEG files. Not too good with large TIFFs, though. Still, it's free and very useable. Also, it has RAW conversion software, at least for the major brands. I can open my Canon CR2 files with it. So, if you're stuck somewhere without your own laptop, you can at least park your images and see them without special software. And did I mention it's free?