50mm vs 17-40mm L

jayhai

will i find the same sharpness from both lenses. I own a sigma 24-70 as a walk around

lens, and will add a 50mm anyways, but i might want to replace sigma with 17-40 for

better quality. your thoughts are appreciated thanks.

So really what you're asking is 17-40 vs 24-70.

I have both, plus a 50 1.8 mk2.

Are you digital or film inclined? If digital, what magnification factor?

Stopped down to say f8-f11, at 40mm the 17-40 gets close to the 50mm wrt quality. The zoom obviously has other advantages, but bottom line is that the 17-40 is widely regarded as a killer lense and one of the best buy L lenses out there.

I also have no hesitation in saying that it will kick the 24-70's butt.

Paired with a 85mm 1.8 you'd have a great 2 lense kit that will cover off 90% of shooting needs [unless you're doing long tele type stuff that is].

regards,

well i shoot with the 17-40 and the 50mm f1.8. the way i figure, they dont really overlap when it comes to focal range. the 50 will be right in the 24-70 range. I find the 50mm is a beautiful portrait lens and the 17-40 is a pleasure to use. I have no experiance with the 24-70 but those are my 2 cents.

Hello...It will be an adjustment to go from 24-70mm...to 17-40mm...it would make more sense to get the 24-70 ef...I know it's $500 more...and much heavier...depending on what you've been shooting with the sigma...I'd think the 17-40 would feel a bit short...30mm less...

Which Sigma 24-70 do you have? I have the new 24-70 f2.8 EX DG Macro, and it rivals my

50mm 1.8 in quality, even wide open. Switching to this lens will be cheaper and give you

the focal lengths you are used to, along with an extra stop over the 17-40.