Hasselblad Lens Comparison

rude boy

Richard,

Hasselblad's lens brochures used to have some of this information, and can sometimes be

found where old camera manuals are sold. The Zeiss lenses for Hasselblad all had 5

aperture blades. Most of the lenses with an identical focal length/maximum aperture were

the same design with a few exceptions (notably the CF 40mm and the FLE 40mm & 50mm,

the 80mm had 5 and 6 group designs in its lifetime, and the 250mm & 350mm

superachromats were optical improvements and the 500mm CF apotessar was a new

design). The current data sheets for CFE/CFi lenses should otherwise describe the rest of

the line.

Taras

Thanks. It was the older series of lenses that I was concerned with, not the new ones. I have an opportunity to get a mid 80'sish 150 sonnar for around $300 in good condition. I think I'll probably get it. I was just wondering how it compared optically to the CFE and CFi, etc. Thanks!

Richard,

(Below is my answer to a similar query a while back. All Zeiss Hasselblad lenses except

many of the older C lenses have the T* multi-coating, usally the chrome ones don't, and

the black ones do, but it depends on the lens, as wide angles got the T* coatings first

before the switch to black lens barrels. The ones that are only singly coated do not have a

T* engraved on the lens.)

For many of the lenses, the C T* and the CF have the same optical formula. It is mostly the

shutter that is the difference. The CFi and the CFE lenses add better suppression of

internal reflections with the CFE's having electrical contacts for automated camera bodies

(200s). The 500mm Apotessar (CF) is a major improvement over the 500mm Tele-Tessar

© (new formula). The Planar (80mm) and Makro-Planar (120mm) was also redesigns, with

the 120mm even gaining a stop. There are versions of the 40mm and 50mm that add

floating lens elements (FLE).

The C lenses have the shutter speed and aperture rings normally coupled. You need to

hold a tab to move them individually. For some this is enough of a hassle to go with CF

lenses. With the CF and newer, the rings normally move independently, and can be

coupled by pressing a button.

I have bought most of my Hasselblad lenses as C T*, with one CF and 2 F lenses. The F and

FE lenses are for the 2000 and 200 series focal plane bodies.

Taras

<i>The Planar (80mm) and Makro-Planar (120mm) was also redesigns, with the 120mm even gaining a stop.</i><br><br>That's not quite true.<br>The very first 80 mm lens was a slightly different design, but it was produced for a very short time only, and is very rare (lots of "very"s but it can't be stressed too much ;-)). The CB 80 mm lens is different too.<br>All the rest of the 80 mm lenses (i.e. virtually all!) are the same design, no matter whether C ("chrome" and black), CF, F, FE or CFE version.<br><br>The 120 mm S-Planar/Makro-Planar is very much the same lens too, no matter what version. Despite the CF mount allowing it to "gain" a stop.

• 2 weeks later...

Richard, you will not be disappointed with an '80's 150mm Sonnar. This is a lens that must be on a tripod to see what it can really do. The performance is outstanding, even wide open. I know the 180 is better, but I can't imagine myself needing a sharper lens. I took a shot on Velvia, with the camera on a tripod. In the upper left there is a traffic light. With a 12-power magnifier, I can read the manufacturer's engraving on the traffic light.

Good Lens. GOOD lens!