Crop Factor Leaves me a bit short.

greg_koni

I recently upgraded from a 10D to a 1DM2. For soccer matches I was

using the Canon 70-200 f2.8 non IS with a 1.4X TC. I love the 1DM2

but the 1.3 crop factor leaves me zooming with my feet or cropping

in PS. I would love to get a 300 or 400 f2.8 but $$ is a bit short

after the most recent purchase. Was thinking of the 100-400 but

would like to see some sample pics if anyone could post some. Any

other choices that won't break the bank?

The lens is also plenty sharp at 400mm and f5.6 if you get the focus right. DOF is shallow, so the closer you are. the more critical it is. I took this shot from the back of the auditorium- probably 35 yards or so away. ISO 1600, 400mm, 1/50 sec at f5.6 with image stabilization on, handheld

Funnily enough, the 300/4 and 1.4 didn't exhibit the same hunting behaviour that the 100-400 did. I wondered why myself but it happened in enough situations that I was convinced that it wasn't a fluke.

Perhaps, I should have chosen my words more carefully. My experience with both combinations led me to the conclusion that the 100-400 was, noticeably, the softer of the two. I now use a 300/2.8 which is seriously sharp but I would never try handholding that beast.

I'll have to admit I did consider the 300mm f4. I had the 70-200 f4L but was finding myself cropping my sports images 30-50% and wanted to stop having to do that. The 300 just isn't something I saw being worth it to me because I'd have had to carry both the 70-200 and the 300 and the 1.4, so I sold my 70-200 and bought the 100-400. So far the trade off (convenience vs. the extra sharpness gain of the 300)has been worth it. I find myself using it a lot between 100-200mm, but that ability to zoom out to 400 in an instant is very nice. The push/pull arguement has not been an issue for me to date, but then again I can remember when that was about the only choice anyone had and it never seemed to bother me then either.

"Any other choices that won't break the bank?"

No:) Unless you want to mount a Sigma 100-300mm f/4.0 w/1.4x TC attached on top of a monopod/ballhead combo; but no IS.

You can get a 20D with a greater crop factor. But what you're asking, really doesn't exist. When it comes to lenses, everything is a compromise; money or quality, quality or money.

If the want/need for the 100-400mm is there, get the sucker and worry about the damage later as it's a great lense and you won't be disappointed with it until the end of the month when the credit card bill comes due:)

Hope the above lends some clarity to a very taxing emotional issue.

Greg,

I have started a folder of various shots I've taken with my 100-400L to date. I'll be adding to it as I shoot additional subjects, especially as baseball season gets under way. Drop me a line if you want to see any full rez sections from any of these. The other day I ordered 12x18 prints from two of those images posted from the Adorama Pro Lab- the facade of the Adolphus Hotel and the Pegasus against the modern building. They arrived today are just as sharp as anyone could possibly ask for. Here's the folder:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=457801