overall reviews seem to portray it as decent. However, the thing that

some reviewers mention is that this lens will not work with the 10D

body, that when you attempt to adjust the aperture, the camera goes

into Err 99, and shuts down.

Since then, Sigma has come out with a 14mm f2.8 lens, and thus will

not re-chip the 3.5 variant anymore, since they obviously would rather

you buy their new lens.

Any insights?

It is a pain really. I don't have a need for my wide-angles to be fast, so the 3.5 is up my alley. That being said, they were at one point re-chipping the 3.5 variant, so I'm currently bugging the seller (a reputable firm, BTW) to see if they can perhaps test it for me before I plunk down my money.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.sigma-foto.de/cms/front_content.php%3Fclient%3D1%26lang%3D1%26idcat%3D59%26idart%3D51&prev=/search%3Fq%3DSIGMA%2BObjektive%2Bin%2BVerbindung%2Bmit%2B%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official

SIGMA of objectives in connection with

Canon EOS cameras

Regrettably there are function impairments with some objectives of older years of construction with the use at the cameras Canon Eos 30/33, Eos 300V and the digital cameras Eos 10D, 20D and Eos 300D. With the digital cameras the error message appears "error 99" when using such an objective; with the analog cameras the aperture transmission does not function, i.e., the aperture remains fully opened during exposure, from which overexposure can result. The objectives from the current delivery program (since 2001) are naturally not concerned of it.

Some objectives concerned and of the old can be modified by our service by an appropriate Upgrade. If the Upgrade is technically possible, we make it in our customer service. Whether a Upgrade is necessary and/or possible, takes you please from the following table. If you should be uncertain whether its objective a Upgrade needs or not, calls you please our central service on (06074/865 16 66). You can by the way examine the function of the aperture blades quite simply, in which you adjust the camera to M (manual exposure), the exposure time to "B" and as small an aperture as possible select, e.g. f/16. If you press now the depth of field preview button, while you look from the front into the objective, you would have to see, how the aperture blades closed.

We regret that this Upgrade is connected with circumstances for you. Send your objective please with this ACCOMPANYING LETTER to the SIGMA central service with the reference to the use of the objective at the appropriate Eos camera. The change takes place with chip availability immediately. After the Upgrade the objectives naturally also still function on the older cameras.

For your understanding we thank you you.

For the following objectives a Upgrade is necessary and technical at present possible. Older series cannot be reequipped unfortunately any longer.

* 8mm F4 ex CIRCULAR FISHEYE to seriennummer # 2...

* 15mm F2.8 ex DIAGONALLY FISHEYE to seriennummer # 2...

* 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 MINI ZOOM SHOT macro ASPHERICAL HF to seriennummer # 2...

* 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 II MINI ZOOM SHOT macro ASPHERICAL to seriennummer # 2...

* 28-105mm F4-5.6 UC II to seriennummer # 3...

* 28-105mm F2.8-4 ASPHERICAL to seriennummer # 3...

* 28-105mm F3.8-5.6 UC III ASPHERICAL IF to seriennummer # 2...

* 28-135mm F3.8-5.6 ASPHERICAL IF macro to seriennummer # 2...

* 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 DL ASPHERICAL IF HYPERCZoom SHOT to seriennummer # 2...

* 50mm F2.8 ex macro to seriennummer # 3...

* 105mm F2.8 ex macro to seriennummer # 3...

* 100-300mm F4.5-6.7 DL to seriennummer # 3...

* 70-300mm F4-5,6 DL macro super to seriennummer # 4...

* 70-300mm F4-5,6 APO macro super to seriennummer # 4...

* 135-400mm F4.5-5.6 APO ASPHERICAL RF to seriennummer # 3...

* 170-500mm F5-6.3 APO ASPHERICAL RF to seriennummer # 3...