Elmarit 50mm collapsible - durability

Since you have to pop the lens out for every usage, this seems like

another movable part that will be troublesome in the long-run. Would

this cause the lens to malalign or come lose; thus, causing focusing

issues?

Long user of this lens, can you share with us your thots?

I'm very attracted by the super sharp close range abilities.

When the lens is pulled out for use the rear of the sliding part bayonets into a matching fitting on rear of the focussing mount. Think of it as a kind of reverse bayonet mount, not unlike the M mount itself, but smaller and hidden inside. It's no more likely to wear and get out of alignment than the M bayonet mount itself where the lens attaches to the camera body.

I've used collapsible 50s & 90s for years and never had a problem. These lens mounts are like wonderfully precise tanks. Smooth in execution, solidly built, with wonderful optics.

I have plenty of collapsible lenses, including the current 50/2.8 Elmar-M (don't know about any Elmarit w/"super sharp close range abilities" (are you talking about the new 90mm "macro"?). I haven't had any collapsible lenses for years like Stephen Lewis, but the easy answer to your problem w/is: Don't constantly collapse & extend them, only do so when necessary (i.e., collapse them only when space constraints force you to & leave them extended @ all other times for ready use)!

The current collapsible lenses are probably more durable than ever. Better materials and machining. I have collapsible lenses that date to before WW2 and they still work. Usually I extend the lens and leave it locked till I go home from shooting. For what it's worth Erwin Puts shoots with an M3 and the current collapsible Elmar. Reportedly he is monitoring the stability of the tube on his optical bench, as time goes by, and so far seems to have nothing to report.

feli

I purchsed one from Tony Rose over the weekend and was impressed by the build quality. easy to work the aperture and focus dials, and folds as small as my 35mm cron - the f/2.8 aspect can be overcome with faster film if needed. Leicas are good for slow handheld shooting.

The Elmar is a new rendition of an old style - With Leicas' commitment to excellence, if there was a design flaw it would not have been kept on the market this long.

I have both versions ... the old one from sixties and the new Elmarit-M. Old one looks and feel more solid. But the new one is very good also. I would not worry about the durability...

Both version will last long enough (probably as long as the film will be in production ;-)

kind regards

Kardum

http://www.kardum.com/

I too had qualms about the wear on collapsible lenses in

comparison to non-callapsible lenses. I find that I don't need to

collapse my 1952 summicron as often as I thought I would. It's

already pretty comapct, and remains in my camera bag

extended, ready for use, 90% of the time. If I want ultra-compact I

collapse it and can fit it in my coat pocket.