Decent 300mm F2.8 lenses?

dan_long

I am going to buy a used 300mm F2.8 lens, most likely manual focus,

and while I would normally not buy anything but a Nikkor, there are a

couple of options such as lenses made by Tamron and Sigma. Are these

quality pieces or should I stick with my first intuition? Any

guidance from those with "FIRSTHAND" experience is welcome.

regards,

Dan

I think the 300/2.8 Nikkor is a good choice. The Tamron and Tokina are not really cheaper and are harder to get.

Even the old AF-I 300/2.8 ist getting interesting, since more people are switching to Canon or buy the new VR.

Ro

The Tamron has always been well respected but I have noticed that you can get the Nikon for similar prices. The Nikon may be a little more beat up but as long as the glass is good and the lens functions well, I'd rather have the Nikon. I think the Tamrons are holding their prices a little better since they can easily be converted to other camera makes. I know nothing about the Tokina or Sigma, and it may be unfair to say, but I have not been impressed by other lenses of theirs. Good luck!

I have an old Tokina AT-X 300mm f2.8 MF. Yes, manual focus. Don't have a cow, dudes.

It's as tack sharp and contrasty as the Nikkor (and yes I have used both). If you don't need

AF (and who does, really?) you can probably find a nice manual focus Tokina or Tamron

(from their famous Adaptall line - I never used one) in the $400 - $500 range.

You can get a Tamron 300mm f2.8 SP IF in very good condition for $700.00 (check KEH). I have had this lens since 1991 and it is a great lens. It has great contrast, has a good-low tripod collar and you can adapt it to many brands of camera including Nikon. The SP 1.4X converter is well matched giving a 420mm f4 that doesn't lose too much sharpness and contrast. The 2X converterter (Tamron) however is not good at all. I think for the money it was the best 300 2.8 lens made in the days I bought mine. I doubt that the newer ones are less impressive. I fully recommend it.

After a decade or two of wanting a 300 f2.8, I finally got a Nikon 300 f2.8 this past year (AF-S version 1). I was pleasantly thrilled to find that it is razor blade sharp wide open - I never experience this before, that a lens could be so sharp at it's maximum aperture. I inferred from the quality of the build and image quality that Nikon felt they were putting their reputation on the line when they produced it.

Long story short, save your money up and go straight for the Nikon is my suggestion.

I own a Tamron 300mm f/2.8 SP-IF lens. It produces outstanding images when stopped down to f/4, and works very well with the Nikon TC-14 or 14B, and decently with the old Tamron SP Adaptall converter. It's also well built overall, although the Adaptall mount is a bit of a weak link. I've also got an older Nikkor 300mm f/4.5 ED-IF lens that isn't as good optically (until stopped down to f/8) but is built like a tank from front to back. I've been a big fan of premium third-party lenses for quite some time. They're definitely worth looking at. Good luck.