Generic business card design/logo

I keep getting word of mouth inquiries for business cards (even

though I'm not technically in business at this point).

<p>

I think I may benefit by creating a business card, or perhaps even

two business cards:

<p>

<ul><li>

one for weddings;

<li>one for portraiture.

</ul>

<p>

I'm not sure if I have that one killer image yet for either category.

<p>

(Some of my user gallery pictures <a

href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/member-photos?

user_id=423955&include=all" alt="myuser

gallery">http://www.photo.net/photodb/member-photos?

user_id=423955&include=all" alt="myuser gallery</a> on this site are

mainly for critique, but a few of the ones with the better ratings

are probably indicative of where I'm at now quality-wise and

represent about roughly 1/4 of the better images I'd use in a

portfolio at this point, if I had one -- I know, trolls, sad, but

true.)

<p>

I've been checking it out the last day or so, and many of the

generic layouts I'm seeing are not really all that good.

<p>

And so...has anyone had better luck with these companies? Can

anyone refer me to an affordable web site dealing in business cards

that has an attractive premade bcard design or logo that I can use

to get started?

I use Vista Print (www.vistprint.com) for my custom business cards that I layout myself in Photoshop. They provide some of the best pricing for 4-color printing that I have seen. The print and paper quality is excellent. If you're not quite ready to design your own, they have some nice pre-formatted designs that you can tailor to your needs. There is a "photography" specific menu of card choices. If you want to try doing your own, they provide Photoshop PSD templates so you get the trim and bleeds properly accounted for.

Monica,

That sounds like an nice offer...would you charge a certain rate for that? Can you give me any ideas? Request my personal email (via the photo.net option) if you want to talk to me "offline."

Like almost everybody, I like to envision myself as this great artist that happens to be pursuing standard family portrait gigs to pay off my gear. (I mean no one really likes to describe themselves as a talentless formulaic hack who's merely trying to con people who don't know any better out of a few dollars.)

I'd like to mix some more edgy fashion/art lighting and posing in with some more traditional shots in my packages as I take on a few paying shoots. So, I guess I'd like to convey: "edgy and contemporary, but not so edgey that I can't take an acceptable yearbook shot."

Monica,

Oh, yeah...the other thing about the card design...is that I wouldn't want to use an image that looks like I'm trying to pass it off as my own photo work. So, I guess that places me more in the iconagraphy realm.

Although, I didn't have a problem with the pictures in the vista.com site, because they convey the idea of photography in general -- more "this is what I do" than "this is my work." As long as it's not a let down to explain that the picture is not mine, then an image will works well on the card.

First and foremost, you should use an image of your own original work on your card. If you want good quality, inexpensive postcard/businesscard printing, try www.postcardpress.com . They regularly run specials of 2000 business cards for the price of 1000, which are only $72. Find a good graphic artist who is just starting out and needs some portfolio material and do a trade-for-services with them to design you a card. If you are starting out in business for yourself, there are few things more important than properly establishing your identity, and one of the best ways to do that is through graphic design - get a logo, come up with a look-and-feel for your website, etc. Find a graphic designer you are comfortable with and work with them to get you a product that you feel represents you - don't be afraid to interview a bunch of them and look at portfolios, because you will want to have a long-term business relationship with this person.