Lighting for Food Photography Follow Up

This is my first post on photo.net. I have a job taking photos for a

cookbook this weekend and was searching the net for tips on lighting

food and came across Lucas Jarvis's thread which I found extremely

helpful! I am mainly a wedding/event photographer but do have

experience with studio lighting for portraits- however my still

photography experience is limited only to what I have done in a class

a couple years ago. I enjoy shooting food and have acheived great

results with natural lighting and on camera strobe.

In reading the responses to Lucas's post I have 2 follow up questions

for Brooks in regards to the following info:

"The main light was an overhead 3'x4' softbox above and slightly

BEHIND the food. An optical spot from the right REAR of the set

creates some rim light on the cake and citrus pieces and some

background shadows."

a. Was the main light the only light that you used to light the

Citrus shot or was their a fill or backlight involved? If yes, where

was it positioned?

b. If the main light is meant to be behind the food, does the camera

have to be set up directly opposite the light? I was thinking it

would be easier to put the camera to the side in relation to the main

light so that a fill card can be placed directly opposite the light.

If the camera is opposite from the light wouldn't a fill card get in

the way of the shot?

Thank you in advance for any advice. I am going to set up on Friday

and do some test shots before the actual shoot on Sat. & Sun. and I

would love to post some of the shots for your comments!

BEWARE OF SLAVISHLY FOLLOWING ANY LIGHTING FORMULA!

There are several reasons for this; 1.0 you might not be photographing the same kinds of

foods. 2.0 You might not havethe same goals. 3.) Your clients needs are probably different

than someone else's.

THE ONLY FIRST RULE OF LIGHTING THAT IS IMPORTANT IS:

Play with the placement and type of lighting until it looks right. This is especially true of

food photography. How do you know when it looks right? When the dish looks appetizing

to both you and your client.

Lighting is part science part alchemy and all art. Ask your client what look they are trying

to achieve. Ask them if they have any samples and study them.

THE ONLY SECOND RULE OF LIGHTING YOU NEED TO PAY ATTENTION TO IS:

practice and play. The more you do this the better you know how to light. You wantto

make your command of technique almost intuitive.

THE ONLY THIRD RULE OF FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY YOU NEED TO PAY ATTENTION TO IS:

Convince your client that it is in their best interest to hire a food stylist, a good food

stylist. This is in their very basic financial interest and can make a large difference in sales

of a cookbook..

As far as placement of fill cards or fill lights; don't be afraid to cut holes in foamcore

fillcards-- they are expendable

I agree totally with Maureen -- I work at a commercial photography studio in Boston for a

photographer in the industry 25 years. She shoots a great deal of food shots (which I have

assisted), and she will spend up to 2 hours on one shot, perfecting the composition and

the lights.

Only when she is sure it is right on (through either polaroids or digital images), she'll put

in the real food for the final shot. It is very rare that she shoots more than 2-3 shots with

the final food items. Do not underestimate how much food (especially herbs, vegetables

and any cream-based product) can wilt, dry-out or congeal sitting under lights.

Thanks Ellis, Maureen & Matt for your input.

I know I can't rely on any set formula's, I am more trying to get any general rules/set-ups to start from. Luckily the author of the book did hire a food stylist for the shoot. The budget for the project isn't huge so I can only hope that she has a lot of experience.

Thanks again for the advice!

Hi Geoffrey,

Well, you've certainly gotten some interesting responses so far.

To answer your specific questions about the citrus shot...

The main light was a 3'x4' softbox positioned above and slightly behind the set. It was not the only light. A second optical spot in the rear right was used as well. And then there were mirrors and fill cards around the left and front. Fill card can be small or large depending on the desired effect. Small cards can be positioned in the front of the set without showing in the shot. If you look at the citrus shot that I posted, you can see where the lights were positioned by where the shadows and highlights fall.

That doesn't mean that you want the same light or look as that citrus shot. You really have to look at the subject matter and the camera's point of view to decide where to best place your lights. And the client, art director etc. will have their own ideas of how the shot should look and about the general theme and visual style of the cook book.

Work closely with the food stylist. If there is something about the food or the way it's plated that doesn't work photographically then have the stylist change it.

With no offense intended, I must say that I wouldn't hire myself to shoot an event or wedding and I certainly wouldn't hire a wedding or event photographer to shoot food or product.

Doesn't seem like a well thought out approach to creating a cookbook which will rely heavily on the photography to sell.

Good luck on the shoot and if you have some samples from Friday, start a new thread and post them here if you want suggestions or help.

Hi Brooks,

Thanks so much for your advice. I do agree with your opinion on hiring an event photographer for this assignment. However, she is working on a tight budget and I have done a lot of food photography for my personal enjoyment and have an interest in improving my skills. I feel like this assignment is a good opportunity as well as a valuable learning experience. Tomorrow I am doing the authors portraits as well as some test shots of food without the stylist. I will definitely post some images tomorrow night or Sat. morning and will look forward to any criticism good or bad you can offer.

Best,

Geoff