opinions on Velbon Maxi and Ultra tripods

joshua daniels

I'm about to purchase a Velbon lightweight tripod (I own other

tripods, and a monopod - so this is strictly for travel). I'd like to

know which model people are most happy with - it seems the longer on

(the F) is the best choice. Also, I would like to get one with a

ballhead, but it seems only the short model comes with a ballhead.

What are your experiences with the Maxi vs. the Ultra? Any comments?

I drug my Velbon Maxi 343E around Europe I have drug it all over the Cscad mmountains sense then if the load you put on it does not eceed it;s limits it is a great little tripod when I do wedding or something else I use a tripod for I always take it along in case. It ain't ment for a 400mm f4.5 but for a body like a T90 and up to a 200mm f2.8 It did me well in Europe would a bigger pod done better YES but then it would'nt been with me so that is Moot.

Built quality I have never ever be unhappy used mine so far since summer of 2003 with no problems.

Another one to look at is the little Slik I for get the model but it has some capabities the Velbon doesn have and they are in the smae weight class I believe it came out right after I bought my Velbon so I might have gone that way as it can spread the legs and get closer to the ground which for my forest floor stuff would be nice.

I use a Maxi 343E with a Mamiya 7II and 65mm lens. I use it as a

hiking tripod, and use a sturdier tripod otherwise (when I use a

tripod at all.) I hate all tripod. I hate the 343E less than others

when I have to carry one. The Mamiya 7II is a very vibration-free

camera, and I'm using a wide-angle lens for this particular

camera., so take this into consideration. I also use the lightest

Velbon magnesium ballhead, and not the one that came with the

tripod.

Scott

<a href="http://scottridgeway.net">My Photography Website</a>

I also use the 343e Maxi. It works fine as a travel pod. The little ball head is a bit too small if you use a longer lens. Actually, I like the head, and for most things it's fine. Some people have reported durabilty issues with their small Velbons, but mine's been great. I find it steady enough for a not-so-long lens in a not-so-windy area. Which basically means that it's not all that steady, but for a tall tripod under 2 pounds, it's acceptable.

I like the concept of the newer Velbon "twist the leg" locks because they're faster to set & down, but they weren't available whan I bought mine. I like the 343e for it's height, weight & ball head. But the quick setup Velbons that have the same hight, don't come with a ball head. However, there was a guy on eBay, that was selling these same small Velbon ball heads for next to nothing & he had a bunch of them.

I'm surprised at the positive responses so far. In the past, the Maxi series have been pretty much panned by posters in the discussion groups. I mail-ordered one for hiking use with a Bronica RF645. It was absolutely inadequate for even that duty. I could do as well resting against something and not have bothered dragging it along. I ordered mine after reading the Herb Keppler article a few years back that praised it. If you search on the Maxi, I think you will find almost universal negative comments. I have no idea about the Ultra series. BTW.... the one I had was the ballhead version and it was really cheesy. It couldn't hold vertical (horizontal with the Bronica) without slipping. Very plasticky and almost disposable feeling.

Craig,

I can hardly dissagree with your opinion of the Maxi. Everything

you say is true. That said, the Maxi works for me. I'm not willing to

carry an ounce more of tripod. It is the difference between a very

wimpy tripod, or no tripod at all. I make do. The tripod has

survived so far. The photos are sharp. (I did add a Velbon 253

ballhead. For only an ounce or so more, it is a substantially

better ballhead.)

Scott

I use a 347GB, like others for travelling, because it retracts down to a size which fits *inside* my day pack. Sure, it's not the heaviest or most stable in the world, but it fits the bill because it's light and I carry it.

I have to compromise between travelling for the experience and travelling for the photography, so the velbon is my pick.

Mine has a pan and tilt head (I know, I know) which features a quick release plate. I can have the whole rig out of my bag and set up in about 25 seconds, which is important when travelling with impatient non-photographers.

I also carry a spare quick release plate which I loan to said non-photographers for their own cameras. That way they get the advantage of the waiting around for me to set up. I let them take a quick shot with their own camera set to auto/flash off, and they get one of the best shots of their trip by aping one of mine.

When I went looking for a light tripod I tested out both the Velbon Maxi and Ultra tripods. Neither seemed to be what I was looking for. Then I found the Slik Sprint Mini. I have used everything from a Canon A95 digicam on it up to my 4x5 with a 90mm Angulon. The Slik is much sturdier than either of the Velbons and it has independent leg spread. The Slik can get down to ground level. Weight and cost are about the same as with the Velbons as well. Seriously consider the Slik Sprint Mini.

• 2 weeks later...
I'll chime in here on the Slik Sprint (not the mini). I'm very satisfied with it for a travel tripod, decent ball head, a case you can hang over your shoulder, and really light weight. It goes almost six feet high yet is only about 16" when folded. Not that stable at six feet but decent below that. The mini is a bit smaller all around. I'd go for either the Pro or the Mini versions as they both have adjustable leg spread and a column that can be shortened for getting low.