End of Film ? - BUT

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ken, if you don't value the time it take for you process, dry, cut, sleeve, scan and print

(or go

through iterations of prints) for b&w -- no to mention the accumulated costs/time for

color film, processing scanning and/or printing -- then costs are lower than those who

do value their time. But they are never lower for anyone who shoots even a moderate

amount regularly, especially if you put a value on your time, especially for dealing with

the time-consuming process and minutia of getting good scans.

<i><blockquote> As to Erwin's central point - that film photography is about capturing

reality and that digital is somehow all about artistic manipulation - Oh, please

</blockquote> </i><p>

Absolutely, although you have to give him small credit for shouting fire in a room of

flaming zealots.

I like film mostly, but I do use digital for P&S ease of use. As for now, Walgreen's carries tri-x, and a Calumet nearby has HP5 for $2.29/24 exp. I hope film doesn't die. I'll do my part by buying and shooting as much as I can. Other than that, I've nothing to add as arguments on both sides seem to have been rehashed many times.

Can't we all just get along? Stop it with the snobbery already.

I believe one day, when the market stablizes, someone will start produce digital back for all the great film based camera, it is not all that difficult when you come to think of it.

The love of film camera (those well made that is) is not the love of film, but rather the love of solidly made, all mechanical body, the labour of love and attention to details, those things carry an intrinsic value that those all plastic digital wonder will never have.

A Casio G-shock and a Rolex Oyster can all tell time, but the Rolex carries with it something more. You come to admire what your other fellow human beings can achieve with their hands: a piece of art.

Erwin is a putz. Long live film...no wait, I mean long live digital, no wait which one is better? Yeah, long live which ever one is better, long live digi above 800asa, long live film below. Then again I can always plug the digi into the plasma no matter what the rating, nah looks better on fiber...ahhhh F it...happy new year all.

Dear Another Bob,

'real cameras for real pictures'

It's called humour. It's something we have in Europe.

If you would like to see some of what I consider to be my 'real' pictures, try to find one of the 30-odd books I have written on photography, mostly with my wife Frances Schultz. Or look at our web-site, www.rogerandfrances.com, though of course the quality of an on-line image is completely different from (and usually much inferior to) a proper silver-halide print or even good-quality photomechanical reproduction.

Cheers,

Roger

Kevin--- Well executed silver gelatin has a look that inkjet

doesn't.. Not just tones, not just blacks -- depth, luminance,

character. Having spent the money and done the homework

with Cone Editions quadtone, profiles, calibration and endless

screwing around to get monochrome output that's accurate,

doesn't show a lot of metamerism, and resembles silver gelatin

in some way, this is what I've come to believe. That it's about

more than having a full tonal scale or being able to clone out that

beer can that you should have seen in the first place. Or being

able to to poorly expose a scene and then resurrect it in PS.

I have no ill opinion of folks who output from desktop inkjet, and

no ill opinion of inkjet in general other than the cost in regard to

consumables. I can buy high quality 11x14 sensitized paper for

$1 and coated rag for inkjet is $2. Go figure. I think Epson ,

Legion, Hahnemule and the rest are laughing all way to the

bank. When it comes to color, I think inkjet comes into it's own. I

don't miss C prints a bit, and like everyone else I love the contol

over the output. It's a fabulous bit of technology. But when it

comes to B&W, I don't think that inkjet droplets sitting on the

surface of a sheet is the same, or the equal of silver halide that's

been exposed to scattered light . It's not the equal and not as

good. Just my opinion.

Another Bob,

Roger's wife haunts my dreams. I mean it. Well, her photographs haunt me. Specifically, the ones made with her Linhof (whenever digicams achieve global mastery, I may finally be able to buy one on eBay without being shot by MY wife).

A talented photographer with a talented wife, Linhof and Leica? Some men are quadruply blessed.

No German cameras here, better go back to lurking....Happy New Year!

"Brandon's Dad"

Well, I liked the one on the index page, but looked at a few of the galleries and they seemed extremely mediocre to say the least.

Frankly, I can't imagine distinguishing between pictures on the strength of the cameras used to make them.