EOS 3 battery problem or normal battery usage?

felix_ing

Hi there,

I'm not sure if there's a problem with my camera, but it seems to me

that, requiring a battery change for every (avg) 10 rolls of 36exp

is a bit unusual, and even ridiculous!

According to the manual, under "standard" testing conditions, the

EOS 3 can shoot up to 50 rolls of 36exp. Now then, take into

consideration that I muck around here and there without taking pic,

and under "harsher" environment, 10 rolls is still way too little

for my money's worth (for the battery)!

I have shot less than 30 rolls and already had 2 battery change.

Thus I brought my 3 to Canon Canada to have an inspection, 1 cs rep

said it only needs to be recalibrated and cleaned, 1 said that some

circuit board needs to be replaced.

Anyhow, the estimate comes up to be $276 (which I've learnt is

called a "flat rate" whatever).

So, does anyone have a similar problem or heard of anything alike?

Please advise

I've never heard of that, but then I am using the PB-E2 and I'd guess that makes a difference.

At $276, you can put money towards a nice used replacement body. Are you using the PB-E2 with it? The 8 AA's give it a long life, much longer than 10 rolls.

How old is your camera? Did you get it used or new? I am wondering if there is damage that you can't see unless it's opened.

My EOS 3 gets about 90-100 36-ex rolls per 8 lithium AAs in the PB-E2. And that's with

lots of

mucking around with AF and IS but not taking a picture (I try it out and decide it sucks). I

only used the 2CR5 once and I recall it burned through the little sucker really fast. How

many rolls I don't recall.

If do lots of long AI servo sessions, you can exhaust the battery in a couple rolls. Nobody

shoots like the "standard" testing condition (AF EF 50 1.4 USM once and take shot). Most

of us focus on all sorts of stuff but only take a few pictures.

The BP-E1 holds 4 AAs and may be a good sub for a 2CR5. It's 1/4 the price of the PB-E2

and can use rechargeables.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I think this is a common issue, if you do a google, you will find many people have had these issues before.

As far as my Eos 3 is concencerned I am sure that I could get the 60 or so rolls specified out of a battery if I shot them all on one day, didn't use Al Servo or continouous shooting and used evaluative metering with no adjustments. In the real world, eye control and spot metering different parts of the scene will drain the battery.

However, I have found if you remove the battery when not using the camera it will last a lot longer.

Andrew Sanders

Slightly off topic here, but why would using spot metering cause an INCREASE in power cosumption when compared to multi-zone evaluative? I would guess that it either disables the metering cells outside the spot zone, or simply ignores their signals. Neither of these behaviors should require more power. Maybe I'm missing something, but that's just my logical take using the info at hand.

Felix, batt life on my 3 with the CR5 varies between 10 and 25 rolls, depending on how much I lean on the AI Servo and continuous drive. Never have gotten near 40-50. Like others here, I bought a used grip (from keh) early on. Cheap "fix" compared to service, which I doubt would solve the prob, anyway.