Black M3 on That Auction Site....$12,000. Call the Bunko Squad?

The best way to get a black M3 and not pay collector price is to buy

a clean chrome one, and send it to Shintaro for painting black. You

should not be afraid to use it when you get it back.

I understand that there are other "Leica Painters" that also do a fine

job.

Jerry

Peter at <a href="http://www.angelfire.com/biz/Leica/page3.html">CRR Luton</a> does a great job of painting cameras. <p>

<a href="http://www.westlicht-auction.com/index.php?lang=3">WestLicht Photographica Auction on 21 May 2005</a> has some

original black M2 and M3's up for auction. <a href="http://www.westlicht-auction.com/index.php?id=25176&acat=25176&_ssl=off">M cameras are here.</a> A M3 BP starts at 4500 EUR, another M3 BP for 9000 EUR.

A BP M2 starts at 4500 EUR

I was curious, so I looked. The seller is a woman who is selling her late husband's cameras. She has already sold a Leica camera for over $4,000 and two Leicas for over $2,000. Where is the presumption of innocence? Anybody could do a bit of checking. Maybe someone should help her out a bit. Her name is J. Rosen, could be Eliot's cousin's wife.

This is what will probably happen to all your cameras in a few years. I hope your wives are prepared. Mine has no clue!

If you look at the timeline of her auctions, she did the right thing. She sold the cheaper cameras first, to build up her Ebay credibility, and then most recently sold the M2R for $4,000+. I wish someone would help her realize the best from her husband's collection. Most of the cameras she sold are mint, with papers.

Some sober food for thought, for the collectors amongst us.

From some of the earlier sales I gather this is a widow selling her late husband's Leica collection, 100% feedback, 11 feedback credits from 12 happy buyers. All previous auctions are still viewable and the buyers are a fairly diverse and credible looking lot. Some surprisingly good cameras amongst those sold.

I will say the photos are not consistent from auction to auction, some better than others but doesn't mean she's taking them herself. As already noted the lack of a description and photos of the black Leica M3 are suspect as are the terms, wire transfer, personal check. I'd take more convincing but you never know.

Gary, you can easily click on the number 11 that is next to her Ebay name, to see her feedback. Then click on each item's number, and you will see the auction items. Sure there are dicey people on Ebay, but just because an expensive item (that is, expensive to us, but cheap to multi-millionaires) shows up, doesn't necessarily mean it's a scam.

Perhaps I'm wrong, and if so, I'm sorry.

Jim A, why don't you send the seller an email? A bit of communication might put you out of your quandary.

And we wonder on this forum why the Homeland Security officers pounce on photographers who take pictures of Federal property!

Is anyone here really interested in a $12,000 M3? If you are a 'private' auction might spare

you some embarrassment in the Leica forum crowd. As for real or not - a heads up - get

your wives/girlfriends ready, you never know...

Vic

Why do you say her name is J Rosen - An ebay user name doesn't prove much, or is there some other way of finding out?

Also isn't it the way to go with a scam, start off small and then auction the big one,after building up bidder confidence? If I was a seller, I would do all I could to help sell the item, and some good photos would go a long way to help in that department.I feel something is obviously not right with this auction.

Regards

Bruno

<i>Why do you say her name is J Rosen - An ebay user name doesn't prove much, or is there some other way of finding out? </i>

<p>I guess I'm naive, I assume most people are honest.

<p>

<i>Also isn't it the way to go with a scam, start off small and then auction the big one,after building up bidder confidence?</i>

<p>The same could be said about an honest seller trying to build their name. Sure, one should exercise caution, but not be too paranoid. Otherwise there's a criminal hiding under every bed.

my guess is that she already has a private offer and is running the auction just to make sure that she is doing the best she can.

i have emailed with her several times and believe she is totally legit. i also know one of her satisfied customers. frankly, as suggested already, these are great items that are going for relatively short money. the gear appears to be absolutely impeccable.

do your own due diligence of course!!

Vic

It is a shame that it has become [ or was it always?] prudent to expect the worst.

I really hope that it turns out OK, but it sure is a funny way of selling such an expensive item sight unseen?

Regards

Bruno

This woman's auctions have been mentioned here before. there are a lot of

scams on eBay, but I would've thought it's worth emailing her and asking why

there are no photos, before labelling her a fraud. <p>

In addition, gary, altho there are few words in her listing it appears you might

not have read them properly - in particular the detail that she accepts

personal checks, and that this is therefore not a 'wire transfer only' auction.

Only one [hidden] bidder - well it could have been the seller?

Ebay expenses put down to experience, if no-one else takes the bait!

This may have been perfectly legit, but why no photos and hidden bidder?

Just wierd.

Bruno