mindfu

I stuffed my Holga into a ziploc bag and got some really cool

underwater pics at depths of about 10 feet. My guess is that

multiple bags could be used to compensate for pressure at

greater depths. The bag actually improved the optical qualities

of the Holga lense.

-Ed

• 4 months later...

I do professional photography, including weddings, portraits, seniors, etc. I have several professional cameras and all the stuff a studio needs. I also own a bunch of other cameras (Polaroid, Kodak, etc.) They all work and I have fun with them. I bought a Lubitel and few years back and was surprised at the good results I got from "snaps". I don't think I'd use it at a wedding, but if I had to, I could for most of the reception and other non critical stuff. (as you may have noticed, I don't get technical about things - I'm, also a professional musician and I NEVER use all those Latin and Italian words, just plain simple English). So, I bought a Holga. I knew nothing about the camera unil I received it in the mail. I thought my pictures were gonna be horrible, and I was dead wrong. The prints came out very well. I used Kodak B&W 400 speed film and the shots were clear, sharp, and not grainy at all. The next 2 rolls were with some Vericolor 3 - and they too were very good. I even used my studio flashes and stuff and got very good results. Now, under a fine magnifying glass, you can tell that there are some problems with the prints once they get over 8 X 10, but most people don't know the difference. I always leave the insert and get 16 shots per roll. I stuff cardboard next to the rolls to keep them tight and I leave off the lens cap. What I really like about this camera is that I can hand it to just about anyone and they can take a good picture with it without all kinds of explinations. It's not a Hassalblad, nor is it even my Yashica Mat 124, but it's better than any 126, 110, or APS out there. And yes, I'm thinking about spraying the inside with flat black, but I've really had no problems with light leaks yet. The ONLY problem I have with the camera is the way the strap is connected. I'm sure that if I put my mind to it, I can rig up some way of putting on a better strap. And as far as a tripod - I put velcro on the bottom of my camera and a piece of velcro on one of my flash holders (Sunpack) and it works just fine and doesn't interfere with other cameras using the same camera holder for the flash unit. I am starting to teach photography and I am getting Holgas for all of my students. I buy my Fuji 800 color film from TheEconozone.com. It is outdated, but cold stored, cheap, and works great. KMart, Target, and WalMart will do 120/220 film, but it takes an extra day or two. Their prices are very reasonalbe. And, when we start doing the darkroom stuff, the larger negative will aid in the teaching.

I have made a 20' X 30" poster from a Holga negative, using 400 speed Portra film and it looks great. It isn't that much different than one made with the same film in 35mm size. I will soon be posting up some of my work for you all to see. So, go and get a Holga or 2 and have some fun. You'll be impressed with the results and simplicity of the camera, as well as the advantage of having that larger negative to work with in you home labs. Any questions, call me at 419-474-0143 EST. I'll be happy to discauss anything about this topic with you.

-Hank Rybaczewski

• 1 year later...
I have used a Holga, and I actually got a super sharp image from it by balancing it on my tripod. It was a bit overexposed, but that is where the magic of Photoshop comes into play. I think EVERY camera, EVERY film, has a usage. Probably even seattle film works does, (not sure what it might be though.) I read on photo.net all the time about people making use of materials others disgard. Its all about vision, skill, patience, knowledge of the craft and adaptability to the information that make the photographer's work unique. But thats just me. I personally think they need to hold a convention or make an ART FILM about this debate because its extremely funny to read what you guys write about. Both sides have valid points,nevertheless it would be great to see an art film about the debates in Photography! Keep up the debates though, they exspand minds and create new art forms!!